1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 6 Good meditation

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by tarala, Oct 2, 2012.

1. tarala

tarala Well known member

I was a little unsure about doing the body scan meditation, even though I frequently recommend it to people I work with. I thought that when I got to the areas that had pain, I would start focusing on the pain rather than ignoring it, or start obsessing about whether there might be a structural problem after all.

When I got to those areas, I just used the idea of visually an increase in blood flow to an area cut off by TMS, and that seemed okay. Near the end of the body scan, I really felt strongly that idea from the video of "what about me?" I think the emotion was mainly grief or sadness. I used another meditation I know, which is to have the adult me be there with the child me, in this instance a child of about five. I was able to tell myself that all emotions are okay, this is a safe place to express any that you want, there is nothing you could do or feel or say that would make me love you less, etc. The emotional tone was of deep love and acceptance. I immediately felt deeply relaxed and relieved.

This was a great experience for me, because I am really not a very good meditator. I think I must be afraid of surfacing feelings. I usually have used guided meditations, which aren't bad for keeping my mind from going every which way, but they haven't really been all that effective either. This was very encouraging for me.