1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

going to bed gives me anxiety

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Jan 19, 2019.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

so lately i’ve been sleeping pretty badly and waking up at night. every time i go to bed or think about it i get anxiety because i have trouble sleeping or maintain sleep for 7-8 hours and if i sleep less i punish myself or feel tired. do you guys had this experience? like i tell myself “what if”

2. HughFennell

HughFennell Newcomer

I think everyone knows the feeling of anxiety at bedtime. I recently read about a technique to fall asleep quickly, called 4-7-8:
    1. Lay as comfortable as possible. Try to distract from everything and not think about anything. Clear your thoughts.
    2. Relax and exhale.
    3. Take a few quiet breaths through your nose for 4 seconds (2-3 breaths).
    4. Hold your breath for 7 seconds.
    5. After this exhale as calmly, smoothly and relaxed as possible through the mouth. For 8 seconds, take slow, short breaths with your nose and exhale the same with your mouth.
    The main thing - do not let into your head any thoughts at the end of practice 4-7-8.

This technique helps when I feel anxiety and can't fall asleep. Hope, it will help you too. Good luck.

stevow7 and Ellen like this.
  3. Pemberley

Pemberley Peer Supporter

I used to have a lot of trouble with this. The anxiety would affect my bowels, but mostly made me have to keep getting up to pee. What really helped:

- Deep breathing (like above).
    - Telling myself over and over again that I can still rest and be rested, even if I don't sleep.
    - Keeping a pair of socks by the bed (if you don't normally wear them to bed). The anxiety would make me chilled and shaky, so I knew I always had the option to pull up the extra blanket or put on socks.
    - Don't look at the time (turn your alarm clock away from you so that you can't see it by accident).
    - Don't aim to get a certain amount of hours. Just know that you can still be restful.

Hope this helps -- good luck!

stevow7 likes this.
  4. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

thanks a bunch guys! i also found not looking at the clock helps! God bless you all!

5. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

stevow,
    Ellen's story and her posts about insomnia might be helpful. She is one of our Beloved Grand Eagles and has wonderful advice and guidance.
    Lizzy

suky and stevow7 like this.