1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Going back to autopilot

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BWV2a, Jun 28, 2017.

1. BWV2a

BWV2a Newcomer

Hi everyone, I have a question about how to basically get back on to mental "autopilot", how people have done this after discovering TMS, etc., for more detail:

I discovered Sarno's work through a relative and wasn't dismissive of it but not particularly interested. I had chronic pain but I never considered it too bad, although in retrospect it did greatly limit my activities and cause me a lot of anxiety. I read on the TMS wiki mostly looking for information about addiction and repressed emotions relating to trauma, I was interested in my repressed emotions influencing my addiction and behavior, not so much pain. I had a huge "breakthrough" emotionally in one night -- without even reading Sarno's book yet (I've since read 3), wept for a long time and remembered/realized big emotional realities underlying my experience. The next day, no pain. The following day, still no pain. I did things that always caused me pain, nothing. I could sit and read for as long as I want in positions that would have left me in pain for days afterwards. So this has all been very helpful for me.

I had an experience a few days ago of pain escalating and then me responding to it psychologically and it ceasing. More recently, there is some pain that won't go away so quickly. I've noticed that I'm now sort of tip toeing around my emotions, instead of my pain. I'm always thinking -- is this making me mad? Is this causing me fear or anxiety? Is this similar to a kind of bad feeling I experienced when young? The emotions are now occupying my mind a lot of the time. I know its healthier than thinking about the pain but my question is, have people gotten to a point where they're basically on "autopilot" again? When they can just go about their lives and the pain, and the emotions, are truly behind them? I know things recur and it is a lifelong situation to think about, but I mean generally and most of the time, to be past this as an every day, every minute problem, whether it be physical or emotional pain that is occupying one.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi BWV,

The beginning of discovery of TMS can be an intense time, it definitely was for me. If you are uncovering some of the repressed emotions that caused your TMS this is especially true. It can be quite stressful. A great way to manage this is mindfulness meditation, which many of us here in the TMS community practice. The idea is that you observe your emotions as part of the mindfulness but do not dwell on them, this will help you release them. Being on "autopilot" as you put it is living the unexamined life, I believe. However, you don't want to be overwhelmed by the emotions on the other hand. In my time since discovering TMS last year I feel I have struck a better balance where I try to become aware of and process my emotions through talking or journaling, but try not to dwell on them.

PainNoMore and birdsetfree like this.