1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Go Hands Go

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Maruuk, May 26, 2015.

1. Maruuk

Maruuk Newcomer

I've been having pain in my hands for about two months now. I've always been a heavy computer user and I used to be able to take breaks or shake it off, but now it lingers and pops up quickly when I type or use my phone. It will occasionally flare up other times when I use my hands, or when I'm not using my hands at all.

I saw a doctor and she basically said there was nothing that could be done. Very helpful... I've reduced my computer use by 95%. My boss has supported me at work by bringing someone in for me to train which has reduced my typing load, but that time is coming to an end and I'm afraid of what comes next.

I also saw a hand occupational therapist who said that I didn't have carpal tunnel, and that my hand strength and nerve response was normal. She thought with rest it would go away but it hasn't. I also saw a naturopath doctor, I appreciated that she at least took the time to talk to me about my concerns in detail. The pain is not usually severe, but I am constantly worried about making it worse or doing permanent damage. The naturopath suggested thoracic outlet syndrome and recommended several stretches and activities that I've tried. She didn't think that I should be concerned about permanent injury, that my situation was not yet that severe. I feel like I have poor coping mechanisms for pain, it's easy for me to get very "doom and gloom" that this will never get better. Reading stories of others suffering for years has given me some perspective on that!

I came across the mindbody perscription and read it. My first thought was that it was too good to be true, I am a natural skeptic. A lot of the success stories have spoken to me though. I think it's odd that both of my hands reached this condition at basically the same time. I was so concerned with keeping my hands immobile and I was just miserable for weeks. I would try to support my wrists in a neutral position while sleeping, and it was difficult to sleep. After reading the book, I decided to just let my hands be positioned however they naturally would, and the next morning I was way more rested. I'm trying to keep these things in mind.

I'm at the point a lot of people seem to talk about, I can intellectually appreciate that TMS is possible, but the "gut" belief is tough, especially given how strong my fear is of permanent injury. I understand that is exactly the kind of distraction the brain is trying to accomplish with TMS. I hope this program will help me!

Jojo61 likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Maruuk,
    Welcome to the SEP! I think, based on what your doctors are telling you that you have TMS, and that this program will help you overcome this.

You are able to see this, which is a huge step. It is a larger step than you may think. Every time you can, catch yourself in the middle of fear about this, just stop and name the activity "fearing permanent injury," and move on with your life. I don't think you have to do this perfectly. It is more of a training, and catching yourself, and re-directing. What I am saying is don't be afraid of your fearful thought! Just work with them as skillfully as you can.

I was just reading this which might help you hold these doubts and fears:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/what-are-barriers-to-getting-better.8361/

Andy B.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Working on the computer is one of the most annoying and stressful things I've ever experienced.
    Web sites, passwords, all drive me nuts. But I work two jobs on the computer so I have to put up with it.
    I may scream, but then do some deep breathing and then laugh. I get back my composure and sanity.

I think most people have pains because of frustration and anger we never had before we had to work on
    and live with computers. They have been the best things and the worst. I am 84 and remember the
    less technological days. We didn't even have a telephone at home until I was in high school.
    I grew up with an old Royal typewriter. I was happy back then.

Jojo61 likes this.