1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Go Back on Meds?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I need your asst on this one I have been off my meds since April I have been doing the work ( not everyday) mediating every morning and just over all excepting myself as I am at this moment.
    I on my 2 nd run of the SEP seeing a Therpist 2 a month . I have been trying to reconnect with my wife with the realization that I can't and won't change her.

With this all said my pain in my feet and hands have reach a new high and I can't operate . Meaning I can't work . So my question is do I take the meds to relief my self or fight threw this next door of healing?

Markus likes this.
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Of course, I'm not a doctor, but if I were you, I'd take the meds just to create a window of opportunity where you can do the fundamental brain work of TMS recovery without the pain to obsess about and distract you, especially if it's so intense that it demands preoccupation. What does you therapist say? I'd ask and collaborate with him/her.

Markus likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Agree with BruceMC, if you're in such pain, anxiety or adrenal overload that you can't function, that's a good reason to take meds, so you can return to functioning in the daily grind and calm down enough to do the TMS work. I'm assuming you're working with a TMS practitioner, if so I would follow their advice, otherwise why spend the time and money.

G'luck!

4. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

I agree with the 'window of opportunity' idea expressed by Bruce above, based on my own experience.

Although I found little relief with pain pills (or NSAIDs or muscle relaxers or medical marijuana), steroids helped me break the pain obsession. I know they don't agree with everyone, but I found steroids reduced my pain level 40-50%. I kept journalling, meditating, and reading mindbody material, and allowed myself to take credit for the improvement. This approach seemed to work for me, as I have continued to make progress, even after the steroids must have worn off long ago.

Also, reducing the pain temporarily through medical means also allowed me to get better at ignoring the pain that remained. Its much easier to ignore a 3 or 4 than a 7 or 8 on the pain scale. Now, 8 weeks post steroids, I would describe myself as 60-70% better, and more confident than ever that I will 100% recover over time (even though the progress seems impossibly slow).

Everyone's path to healing is unique. I would have preferred to to recover without medical intervention, but it was not working. Perhaps medication will give you the relief that you need in order to to make meaningful progress. Whatever you choose, you will be making the right choice for yourself at this time.

5. Boston Redsox

She said to go back on she always thought I came off to early

6. Boston Redsox

I am not working with a tms Therpist anymore could not afford $150 a pop but my Therpist is on board with the whole concept she actually reading the wiki forum the last 2 weeks. So that great. But your right TT I am on adrenal over load my body is spazzing and out

7. Boston Redsox

The you all for your advice .... I was doing so well but hit a brick wall this week. I had the pills out but I am having a hard time to take one . I feel like I will be taking huge steps backwards in my recovery .

8. Tennis Tom

$150 an hour is pretty much the going rate for any psychotherapist, how much is the one you are seeing by the hour, or 50 minutes?

9. Boston Redsox

With Ins $20.00 for 50 min

10. Tennis Tom

There's one of the problems I see here, people are not accustomed to paying the true market rate for their healthcare because they get it from their employer or an insurance company that TMS is not covered under. They are shocked at what the cash price is. You have to decide which is the best decision in the long run, staying in the traditional allopathic structural path, being mis-diagnosed, getting the wrong treatment and staying in chronic pain--or facing the market reality and paying cash for TMS treatment that will rid you of your pain in a relatively short period of time. I see people being trapped here by the low co-pays that seem to be a bargain. Maybe your $20 therapist will be a quick study and be able to help you but right now if she is reading a TMS book maybe she should be paying you for educating her and having you as a guinea pig to practice this new theory on. Your pain level has increased so is it working? I've read at these boards of the high prices TMS practitioners charge, but the reality is they charge NO more then their allopathic counterparts, but the siren of the cheap co-pay for the wrong dx and treatment strategy is very seductive. IMHO, the cost for a TMS make-up by a knowledgeable TMS Sarno trained physician, is a pittance compered to the dollars, time and life lost to pursuing the wrong path, leading to one mis-treatment path after another.

11. Boston Redsox

I have done the tms therapist route and find no difference in there approach towards the ultimate goal as a regular therapist this is the problem. I have the tms Dr route he was a quack gone the tms therapist route it was OK not much improvement after a dozen sessions.

So I am at cross roads with this TT . what as been your experience in all of this.

Markus likes this.