1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Gluten

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Hiawatha922, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Hiawatha922

Hiawatha922 Peer Supporter

Markus and Grateful17 like this.
  2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Alessio Fasano's work would beg to differ. The extent to which gluten impacts on the population is hotly contested however and NCGS is debated intensely. some of it could be indeed psychosomatic though, our brains are strange machines

3. Markus

Markus Guest

I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance by a naturopath in 2012, I have never gone gluten free because I have never agreed with that diagnosis! I think the article with this story is extremely enlightening. But it's still something causing the symptoms right? Sychosomatic or not!

Grateful17 likes this.
  4. Maka

Maka New Member

I have had major problems digesting wheat and dairy. These problems started at the same time as my pain problems about 20 years ago. Although I've had huge success improving my pain symptoms, I'm still having reactions to wheat and dairy while strongly believing they are TMS driven. Has anyone had success overcoming TMS linked food intolerances?

5. Hiawatha922

I have a condition called eosinophilic esophagitis (EE). EE is apparently connected to allergic responses. I started getting symptoms as a teenager (food would frequently get stuck in my throat due to a narrowing of the esophagus...connected to allergic response). It wasn't until I was in my forties when the condition was diagnosed. About five years ago (when I was about 47), I started a gluten and dairy free diet and the condition improved about 98%. This condition was very uncomfortable and it is almost totally gone now.

My other symptoms, however (body symptoms like sciatica, left temple ache, muscle twitches, etc) continue. I believe that TMS is behind many of my symptoms. I am not sure, however, about this reactiveness to gluten/dairy. Could my reaction to gluten and dairy be part of TMS?

I too would be very interested in hearing from others who have overcome TMS associated with food intolerances.

Markus likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for posting about the gluten article. My sister nearly died from loss of weight and pain until an East Indian doctor said it could be nutrition and found that she had gluten intolerance. It could have been caused by TMS emotional stress, repressing childhood anxieties. I discovered through
    journaling that I had them, too. Her new gluten-free diet saved her life.

7. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I have one word for Pain….Magnesium

8. Markus

Markus Guest

Good for muscle cramps!

Boston Redsox likes this.
  9. LynnH

LynnH New Member

In my journey towards pain relief I tried many things. I went to only whole foods, including whole wheat and no sugar, but with no results I went on to gluten free foods, still no results. Finally I went to a grain free diet and after about a month my chronic migraines disappeared along with joint pain and an overall sluggish feeling. It was amazing! However, it did not resolve my chronic back and sciatic pain. Since learning of TMS I have wondered whether my reaction to grains is psychosomatic but since this diet has been working for me for the last 3 years it will be awhile before I test that theory out. I am hoping that as I continue to alleviate physical pain that maybe the food sensitivities will disappear on their own. Time will tell.

10. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

When things like this happen I feel it's a way the brain tricks us in believing it's not tms.

I guess away to go about it is tell your brain you prefer to eat this way because it's better for your health!!! Instead of saying it's for pain...

Make sense or am I off base?

11. Hiawatha922

Boston Redsox, I understand what you're saying. I think you're getting at an important point here. Along with this idea of motivation is the experience of fear. If, for example, I am eating gluten-free due to fear it will certainly fuel any TMS component. On the other hand, if I am doing it because it supports my body and my health, fear will diminish as will the TMS.

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Muscle cramps may very well be a symptom of TMS, but there is something else I have recently read about...
    they also can be caused by magnesium mineral deficiency. I've read about it on YouTube and it makes sense...
    foods we eat are grown in soil depleted of magnesium, and that mineral is essential for 3oo or more enzymes
    to function properly in the body. I think it's worth looking into. I'm beginning to believe that TMS and magnesium
    are partners in good health.

13. LynnH

LynnH New Member

I very much agree. I continue to eat the way I do because of all the health benefits!