1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Give Yourself a Break

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Watch your reactions. Often, we react to negative events in a destructive manner by criticizing ourselves and putting all the blame on ourselves, or get angry at ourselves because we weren't good enough. Lighten up on yourself. Know that in life you will have some mess ups, so give yourself a break from all the self-criticism and pressure you put on yourself so much. Life is full of moments that can set you into a downward spiral because you have been conditioned to be self-critical. Learn to recondition yourself through the law of habit and in 21 days or so, maybe even less, you can start giving your heart a break from all the self-judgmental thoughts. You’re a winner. Believe that with all your heart and be the best person you can be to yourself.

God Does Not Want You To Be In Pain

Eric Watson, Walter Olesky. 2014

Msunn, Solange and North Star like this.
  2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Great reminder, Herbie. I'm still just learning at how often I get triggered to go into self-criticism mode. Having my new puppy has been so good for me. I am working on training which means lots of praise and no negativity when she has an accident in the house. I'm illustrating to myself how I should treat myself. Crazy, huh?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

North Star, having and training a puppy can teach us more about ourselves and how to be more patient and tolerant. You've got a treasure that will keep you occupied and bring great joy into your life. God bless dogs and he blessed us by giving us dogs.

North Star likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I didn't really know what unconditional love was until I got a dog!

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Herbie, a great reminder about lightening up on ourselves.

This morning I did my federal income tax on paper and my state tax online.
    Both were stressful, especially getting the online one right, but I got some help
    by phone calls. Both are done now. Maybe not done 100 percent right, but done.

Now I can ease up on myself because I stopped thinking about doing them
    and just DID THEM! What we get done gets done and we can relax.

6. North Star

Walt, we are eyeball high in taxes around here. For a CPA, this time of year means loooooong hours. I'll be glad when my hubby's around more. I was grateful that we didn't have to pay in. We lost another little tax deduction….and this year our youngest will be of that age too. Meh.

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

No its not crazy at all North Star. I learned a lot from my puppies and my full grown canines. I remember having a hard day and I went out to feed my doggie Roxie. She was putting on some weight at the time so I decided to put her on a diet of 1 meal a day for about a week.

Anyhow as I took her food to her she just looked at me and wouldn't eat. I wasn't catching on so I said Roxie " Why aren't you eating". She just looked back at me like well I prefer a good petting first. I knew what she meant by her eyes. As I set down and petted Roxie for about 10 minutes I started to look in her pin, even though its about a lot -- and pretty good size for a pet. She still didn't have a stove, she didn't have covers. She didn't have the internet. Her family adopted her out and she had been almost killed by some ravenous dogs earlier that year.

She had that look of contentment and joy. Happiness just to have me set there with her and pet her and talk to her. Content with just being friends and enjoying the sun as the wind blew. I looked up to heaven and said thank you lord for showing me true happiness is so simple when I just think of others and how they create happiness with so much less that I have.
    It was an eye opener for sure.
    Bless You

North Star likes this.
  8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

I second that motion,

North Star likes this.
  9. North Star

Daisy is teaching me moment by moment living. She is such a sweetheart. Seeing her happily romp over the lawn, exploring everything is pure delight.

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Puppies just love to romp and fetch. Annie is 12 and still loves to fetch a "sock bone" I made.
    I stuff a white tennis sock with old ones inside and knot it. I toss it around the living room and
    then onto the couch and leaps up there for it and then returns it. A lot of laughs to watch.

North Star likes this.