1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Started... is Hard! ...Help?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Nostalgiaholic, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Nostalgiaholic

Nostalgiaholic Newcomer

I am having a hard time deciding where to start... as far as a recovery program is concerned. Any help/advice/guidance/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Where I am at:
    I read the Divided Mind several years ago, and I recently picked-up Healing Back Pain to thumb through and use as a quick reference to jump start my recovery. I am on Day 5 of the Structured Education Plan, but... I am finding all of jumping around (from article to video to external link to lists to journal) a bit cumbersome. I think I would do much better with everything right in front of me in one comprehensive resource/reference; moreover, a resource/reference that was not ALL reading, but... also included the other necessary exercises.

What I am considering:
    • Continuing with the Structured Education Program
    • The MindBody Workbook by David Schechter MD
    • Unlearn Your Pain by Howard Schubiner MD
    • Starting the TMS Recovery Program, developed by Alan Gordon, LCSW
    Any help/advice/guidance/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Jeremy

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Read Steven Ray Ozanich's extensively researched TMS tome THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION. It has a good appendix with all the TMS equivalents. He has talked first hand with all the great TMS authorities and with Dr. Sarno himself. It's my go to source when I need a quick reference on a symptom.

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/The_Great_Pain_Deception

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Nostalgiaholic likes this.
  3. Nostalgiaholic

Nostalgiaholic Newcomer

Thank You, Tom. I have seen this book mentioned, and I'm seriously considering it as a future reference.

What I'm looking for right now is something more akin to a step-by-step guide to recovery. Something that isn't all reading, but... also includes exercises, meditations, guided journaling, etc.

Would The Great Pain Deception be able to serve this purpose?

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, also Nicole Sachs' book TRUTH is good :
    http://meaningoftruthbook.com/me/

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Nostalgiaholic,

I started with Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain, and I think it is excellent! It worked for me.

I'm glad you're getting started. Don't spend too much time looking for the perfect program. The important thing is to start doing something every day.

Best wishes...

6. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Nostalgiaholic,

Before reading or starting any of the books, I would read 'You are the placebo', its one thing immersing yourself into a programme, but you must have full belief and commitment in whatever you do.

Have you ever wondered why medicine works for some, diet for others, reading for others? I am now coming to realise, that if you commit yourself to something you must have total faith and belief in that one thing, any element of doubt can hinder your progress. This is why it seems people cure for different reasons, whether it be meditation, reading or dietary changes.

Its also important to stay focussed and not get overwhelmed with too much reading, sometimes less is more and the key is to commit, engage in teachings, off load emotions (by journaling), meditate to stay balanced and focussed and finally carry out guided visual imagery, seeing yourself in a healthy state and space. Eventually, your mind will let go of the learned neurological pathways and create new pathways from your mind and body, which will be healthy and without pain.

Stay focussed, be blessed - the journey is a long one and I am sure you will succeed and get better.