1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 25 Getting back on track

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Jacob, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Hey guys. So I've kind of slacked off on the program the past couple weeks, but hopefully I can get back on track. I guess I've kinda had some doubts. I guess I wonder sometimes if it's really reasonable to believe that the unconscious mind can create disabling fibromyalgia pain. But then again, I can't think of anything else that could. I just wish it wasn't so hard to get relief. I don't know why the program hasn't really seemed to help yet, although I do notice that I seem to feel a bit worse the past couple weeks I haven't been doing it compared to when I was, so maybe there is a correlation.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jacob - and I hope, Welcome back!

We often say here that it really can't hurt to accept the theory of TMS/MBS/PPD - whatever you want to call it - as long as you have made sure (by seeking medical advice beforehand) that you're not putting off needed medical treatment by doing so.

It can't hurt, and it's practically free (apart from buying some books, many of which are available at the library, or used on Amazon). And as I said to someone else recently, it might help a little, or it might help a lot - but even a little is better than nothing, right? It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

It sounds like you noticed there was something there, so I encourage you to give it another go. Have you read the recommended fibro book: Freedom from Fibromyalgia?

Keep us posted!

Jan

3. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I haven't read that one yet. I've read the Divided Mind and the Mindbody Prescription. I think it would be a good idea to order that one to read next.
    Anyway, something interesting happened last night. I had had a really bad headache all day, which is part of the reason I decided I should get back on track with the TMS program. After I posted that I was hoping to get back on track, and then doing the journaling and letting myself be really honest about how I feel about some things, I went to bed, and as I laid there to go to sleep, suddenly my head starting feeling a lot better. Like within less than a minute, my pain in my head decreased by about 50%. It was pretty awesome, and I saw that as evidence that the whole TMS program really does work.
    I really do think I'll make a full, or at least 80% recovery eventually. For me, I just have to believe that. Every little bit helps, but to be honest, I can't be satisfied thinking that a little better is good enough, because I know deep down that my life has so much more in store for me than more pain. I hope I'm not expecting too much, and I don't expect it to happen instantly, but for me, it helps me feel more at ease if I tell myself I'll get over this.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

That's absolutely what you should be telling yourself, every day, many times a day! Visualizing your recovery is very very powerful, and it creates changes in the brain - neuroscientists are actually able to measure that kind of thing now. It's pretty amazing.

Here's a video from Dr. Gabor Mate which you might find interesting and relevant:
    http://tmswiki.org/forum/media/dr-gabor-maté-how-stress-can-cause-disease.39/
    He talks about the physiology of what happens to people who stuff their true emotions (in this video he's speaking specifically about people who end up being caretakers). It's about 50 minutes long, although you can just listen, you don't need to watch. His book, When The Body Says No, is another great resource, and he does mention fibromyalgia in it as well as in the video. He writes about what he calls "the stress-disease connection".

Keep up the good work!

Jan