1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Get Rid of the Emotions that Drain You

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Walter Alvarez, one of the greatest physicians of the 20th century once said that one reason he lived to be 90 was because he learned never to get angry or disturbed. The negative emotions of fear and worry -- anger and suspicion, etc... are debilitating.
    They consume so much of our energy that we have little or none left. They can ruin our health as much as our energy.
    This is also what Dr. Abraham Low often told his clients, to be ill minded is to cause sickness in the body. So go ahead and learn to get rid of those emotions that are draining you so you can reap the benefits of good health.
    Some great keys to accomplish this is to know that your feelings are not facts. Know that when your up-set and worried you are only adding to your reservoir of rage. And hurt feelings are just beliefs not shared. Talk to someone, journal, or during your moments of awareness feel the emotions that have been bothering you, process them and this will weaken the grip of TMS.
    Your muscles can be commanded to do what you fear to do and also you can recondition any fear thoughts you have to your bodily symptoms.
    We have the keys now get rid of those emotions and write us about how you did.
    Bless You

Gigalos, Mermaid and gypsysoul like this.
  2. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Another pearl of wisdom, thanks Herbie.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thank you mermaid. I also learned - ( Not that it's always obtainable but mostly always it is) - that keeping a controlled attitude over my anger, what disturbs me and also my fears and worries was the key to losing my pain too. I can see and feel how it has added years to my life already. I discovered that loving myself was more important than getting sick with worry. Now, mostly I get over anger rather quickly and let it go.
    In the past I would never had known how to not re-act to a bad situation.

That last sentence, how to re-act to a bad situation is the inside secret ya know. When I healed it was because I decided to be calm and rested in most situations that in the past I would have had a negative reaction too. I didn't know the effects that this worry and anger and hurt was doing to me, now I do and it's like I just know better now.
    I remember the story about the farmer that had a cow and all the town looked up to him because that cow was a source of milk and butter for the town. Then a storm came through and the cow got blowed away. All the town's people came to ask the farmer was he hurt or worried? What was he feeling? Was all going to be ok? He said "Maybe".
    Then he gained 3 horses and all the towns folk were happy again and they all wanted to know if he was as happy and excited as they we're about it, He said " Maybe"
    Then one of his sons got sick and passed away and the town folks wanted to know if he was feeling bad, and again he said " maybe.
    The story ended with the old farmer set up and doing real good in his life.

I know you know the moral by now but I have to say it.

If we can control our reactions to anger, trivialities, fear and worry then we got it whopped right there. There is the repression part ya know but most of us repress all of those negative reactions that we often don't even know we're doing like rd rage and such. It's when we recondition and then take back control of our emtions that we begin to heal.
    Bless you mermaid.
    Wishing you a beautiful weekend.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    Mermaid likes this.
  4. Mermaid

Hi Herbie

What a fantastic post, I'm exactly at the stage of healing you describe. You always seem to start a thread at the precise moment I need to hear exactly what you are writing about, it's kind of weird !

Just recently I've been thinking about how "toxic" negative emotions are in our bodies. I eat a healthy diet and get plenty of exercise to care for my body, so why poison it internally by having thoughts that lead to such strong emotional reactions. We are not slaves to our minds, they are a tool for us to use, we can chose our thoughts. Without first having a thought, we can't experience an emotion. Try it, you'll find it's impossible.

Perhaps Dr.Sarno was being a little too optimistic in claiming that we don't have to change our personalities to heal. I'm my experience change is the only way to heal fully. It's not enough to acknowledge your feelings, we have to calm them too. If I was to describe TMS healing in very simple terms it would be as follows :

1. Knowledge of the mindbody connection
    2. Acknowldge that emotions can cause physical symptoms
    3. Make the above part of your deep belief system
    4. Consider the way you view life and your world
    5.Observe your reactions to emotive situations
    6. Try to discover why you react that way
    7. Accept that some of your reactions aren't peaceful
    8. Resolve to make changes
    9. Treat yourself with understanding and compassion as you work on becoming more relaxed and peaceful
    10. Learn to love and forgive yourself.
    11. Enjoy your life, it's a precious gift from God and he wants us to be happy.

God bless you, Herbie. You have a great weekend too :joyful:

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Awesoooome, I love this. Most excellent Mermaid. I love number #8. Yes we have positive and negative personality traits. We do have to change those negative personality traits for sure. Part of Sarno's list of what to look for are "negative personality traits".
    I believe we are always different in spirit from all the negative traits we need to change for sure. It's always a most helpful change.
    In the respect of all of our positive attributes in our personality. All of those are kept and with most of us being Goodist. I think we have the best help and words of wisdom peers in the world. Like in your own number #6 - try to be aware of what you react to and then why are your reacting that way " emphasis mine but you wrote the quote - That is an awesome healing tool that will have you really learning to heal within weeks.
    I appreciate that I am able to help you grow cause you sure help me my friend.
    Bless You

Mermaid likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Mermaid, that's a great list. I've cut and pasted it and stored it on my desktop.

Mermaid likes this.
  7. Mermaid

Thanks Walt, I'm very flattered :joyful:

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Flattery will get you everywhere. haha

Mermaid likes this.