1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

GERD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marytabby, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

My latest new symptom is a combination of throat mucus and acid in the throat/regurgitation. I’ve been going through some anxiety at work (boss who seems annoyed by me all the time) and now I’m dealing with these symptoms.
    It’s a feeling of constantly needing to swallow mucus and/or food slightly coming up into my throat. Being a TMS person since 2005 I can say I’ve had a lot of symptoms and I know how TMS works. Can anybody offer any support or suggestions, since swallowing and eating food are very important!
    Thanks!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi marytabby -

My suggestion: become mindful of where you are holding tension. If you're like me, you hold a LOT in your torso. Abdomen and diaphragm.

See it, acknowledge it, and then RELAX!

I practice deep breathing, relaxing all those muscles, and telling my brain and my gut together "This is not necessary!"

If it continues, I know it's time (usually overdue) to pick up pen and paper, and start free-writing all of my thoughts. ALL of them. Conscious and unconscious; acknowledged and repressed; big and little. No exceptions!

3. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Thank you!

4. DWA

DWA New Member

I had GERD in my late 20s and into my 30's. I was constantly throat clearing and having stomach acid backup into my mouth at night while sleeping. Only recently I've come to realize I am TMS susceptible. I had 4 different Doctors look at me back then and they never really found any reason for the GERD. I had a deviated septum surgery that didn't do anything and took a proton pump inhibitor for 10 years daily, but I don't think it really helped. Eventually I just got sick of taking the meds. and had matured enough to change my diet and was no longer bothered by the GERD and still am not to this day. I now wonder whether my GERD was TMS related?