1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (NY) Standard time. It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Enrique as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

GERD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marytabby, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

My latest new symptom is a combination of throat mucus and acid in the throat/regurgitation. I’ve been going through some anxiety at work (boss who seems annoyed by me all the time) and now I’m dealing with these symptoms.
    It’s a feeling of constantly needing to swallow mucus and/or food slightly coming up into my throat. Being a TMS person since 2005 I can say I’ve had a lot of symptoms and I know how TMS works. Can anybody offer any support or suggestions, since swallowing and eating food are very important!
    Thanks!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi marytabby -

My suggestion: become mindful of where you are holding tension. If you're like me, you hold a LOT in your torso. Abdomen and diaphragm.

See it, acknowledge it, and then RELAX!

I practice deep breathing, relaxing all those muscles, and telling my brain and my gut together "This is not necessary!"

If it continues, I know it's time (usually overdue) to pick up pen and paper, and start free-writing all of my thoughts. ALL of them. Conscious and unconscious; acknowledged and repressed; big and little. No exceptions!

Kira likes this.
  3. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Thank you!

4. DWA

DWA New Member

I had GERD in my late 20s and into my 30's. I was constantly throat clearing and having stomach acid backup into my mouth at night while sleeping. Only recently I've come to realize I am TMS susceptible. I had 4 different Doctors look at me back then and they never really found any reason for the GERD. I had a deviated septum surgery that didn't do anything and took a proton pump inhibitor for 10 years daily, but I don't think it really helped. Eventually I just got sick of taking the meds. and had matured enough to change my diet and was no longer bothered by the GERD and still am not to this day. I now wonder whether my GERD was TMS related?

Kira likes this.