1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Gaining Knowledge

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Sonic, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

So far I have stuck to the program by setting aside an hour a day to do the recommended reading and tasks like journaling. I have also been reading bits and pieces from the Divided Mind to try and drill this stuff into my head.

I'm definitely getting into this and heading towards utter acceptance of the TMS diagnosis. I think the more you read up on it, the more you can relate to it. Especially if your pain has not been explained by Drs. I have heard the usual stuff from PT's such as one leg is longer than the other, knots in back, muscle imbalance, bruised bones and what not: come back next week, £40 blah blah blah.

The success stories on here also give me some confidence that recovery is possible and keeps you inspired to stick to the programme.

Just starting to get into journaling and need to keep working at that as I'm sure it can be beneficial. Have not started to right about the deep emotional stuff just yet but will work towards it ASAP.

I have also been suffering from chronic dizziness and vertigo for the last 16 odd months and actually got tested for the 2nd time in a year. Basically they found no damage to my ear or Vestibualr system so that's good news. They say I'm just so anxious that it's preventing my Brain from compensating from whatever caused this. Maybe this can also be TMS as by brain has just latched on to what ever caused this and is prolonging the symptoms or something.

I have actually been quite active this week by going for walks for 45 mins to an hour and also did 2 sessions on the exercise bike for 10 mins. Just trying to get on without fear of pain basically and push it to the background.

2. ringette18

ringette18 Newcomer

Hey Sonic!
    That's awesome to hear that you have found out about TMS and are doing the program and journaling. I also went to see so many different practitioners, each with different explanations and no results, and a whole lot of wasted money.

I originally found out about TMS through someone's blog post in May of 2016. He wrote his story out and I related to it and was skeptical when I got to the end and he explained TMS, but it was worth a shot. I read Sarno's Healing Back Pain book and started doing the Structured Education Program daily, and I got better! In 3 weeks I was back to work! It was a miracle! I could also run and do strenuous workouts; we even moved and I was picking up heavy furniture, all with no issues.

But then 2 months later, work was extremely stressful, as I'd taken on a management position and I started hurting. And it got worse and worse and I stopped believing in the diagnosis and went back to trying conventional therapy to no avail. Months of pain later I picked up Sarno's Divided Mind and within two days I was relatively close to normal. Again, another miracle!

I haven't kept up with my journaling and have started hurting (again, more work stress) so I am back on here to get myself back on track. I can already feel the affects of reading the materials and writing my thoughts out. I'm indifferent to the pain again, and I know that it will go away and that it is not hurting, it is only a signal that my brain is sending out.

Thank you for writing out your experience, it also helps me to remember that there are many other people experiencing similar things. I hope that by using these methods you are able to rid yourself of the vertigo; my sister experienced it last summer and it did not sound enjoyable.

Keep exercising and writing! I'll try to do the same.

Cheers

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sonic. You are doing great... the exercise is wonderful. I occasionally feel dizzy. My doctor prescribed Meclizine, which I get over the counter at the drug store in the general brand called Travel Sickness by Rugby. One pill and the dizziness is gone. Dizziness is a common TMS symptom. Journaling about any repressed emotions will heal you.

Ringette's reply should give you a lot of encouragement.