1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Gabapentin

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Feb 15, 2019.

1. DWA

DWA Peer Supporter

I am new here. Just saw this post. Live in Boston too BTW, unless you are just a Sox fan from elsewhere? Anyway, I have had idiopathic PN for 9 years. Slowly progressive. Have tried everything for the numb painful feet that I now have. My Neuroligist offered Gabapentin a few years ago. I resisted, but finally got desperate. Took 1200 mg. a day for 6 months. Didn't do a thing for my neuropathy and I told him this. His response? Take more. I ramped up to 2000 mg a day for a few weeks and began to feel dazed. Couldn't hold a thought together. In a stooper. I weened off of them a few months ago and don't plan on going back. As mentioned before, they are not intended to be taken during "flares". They are supposed to be in your system, slowly ramped up and then ramped down if you go off of them. Some people think they help, especially if your nerve pain is burning and tingling. Mine is a sensory neuropathy and I just feel like I have two feet that are driftwood/concrete. No burning or tingling. If I were you, I would stay away...

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Thx you it sounds like it just a bad med and yes I man from the Boston area ...and I also been suffering for 9 years and I get those same feelings in my feet and legs klonpin as been helping a lot

3. DWA

DWA Peer Supporter

Thanks for the heads up on Klonapin. I don't hear much about that one for PN. Gabapentin and Lyrica are the go to's. I need a break from the medications right now, I've been going full tilt trying to manage this progressive disease, and have tried everything under the sun that is supposed to help with the symptoms. None have even helped in the slightest. The mental aspects of dealing with this chronic condition have caused me to spin out every once in awhile and I now realize these "flares" are TMS related. My TMS trigger isn't anger or suppressed emotion, but the chronic PN condition of which there is no known cause (for me) or cure or therapy. The weight of that is excessive. So frustrating that modern medicine has no answer for nerve damage. Since TMS is completely new concept to me I am learning more about it daily and hopeful that it can help me manage the mental aspects of the disease. Maybe resetting the uncomfortable numb pain that is the daily norm for me. i.e. can I learn to better live with the condition with help from TMS therapy/knowledge. I sure hope so...