1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 11 Funniest experience, and getting better, I think

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by armchairlinguist, Mar 18, 2015.

1. armchairlinguist

armchairlinguist Peer Supporter

I had the funniest experience today. I'm doing the SEP because I've had trouble getting rid of my foot pain and finally thought I should do something systematic instead of scattershot. So what did I come across today except my own Success Story from RSI as reading material! :) And it says "If you see yourself in this story, write a short forum post about your comparison." So obviously I see myself in this story...since I am myself!

Actually, I re-read it pretty early on, a few months ago when I started over on TMS stuff again, and it did inspire me, so it's still a good story. Sometimes I wish my foot pain was as easy to deal with as my RSI, actually. It's not, probably because it started out of a real injury and so I had/have a lot of fear. I also don't have as much desperation. When it's not bothering me much I'm very functional in a daily type of way, and I'm afraid of overdoing, so it keeps me confined in a narrow band of functionality - just enough, not quite enough.

The SEP seems to be helping, though. I'm walking more and thinking about pain less - the pain that comes on randomly seems to be mostly gone (it would just happen sitting at my desk). And a regular walk usually won't cause a lot of pain, though it starts up with heat at longer distances. Mostly what triggers it now is some perception that I did something "difficult" or "weird" with my foot. So yesterday I walked home from the library (over a mile) but it was feeling weird just before, so I had a lot of trouble and had to do a lot of self talk. Of course it was fine today, so that was reassuring. :)

Still, I have a ways to go to decondition, de-fear, and stop using some of the metaphorical crutches like keeping a pillow under the covers so my foot doesn't bend in a weird way. But the SEP is helping and I'm glad for that.

Ellen and Peggy like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

My computer sees to want to send things before I write them.
    I get a lot of stress from computer madness. Like today, no sound.
    But I like old silent movies, so no problem.

You seem to be progressing nicely. Walking a mile is great progress.

The pillow in bed is fine. I sleep with one between my legs.
    I don't know if that really helps the back, but I think it does, so I guess it does.

Don't let yourself think you've done something to bring in pain.
    It's your fear of that causing the trigger.

4. armchairlinguist

armchairlinguist Peer Supporter

Walt, that is one of my struggles - I rationalize keeping it by a kind of "hey, what does it hurt? It's kinda comfy anyway". But I'd like to use the pillow for other things eventually, and feel more confident.