1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Functional neurological disorder ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Snowman, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Snowman

Snowman Peer Supporter

As the title says. Has anyone been told buy a neuro that this is what they have ? I saw one Saturday morning and he said this is what you have. Kinda sounds like its linked to tms in a way. But I showed him my blood test from Germany and he is sending me for private test here and a spine MRI soon.
    Main symptoms this week is the constant nerve pain and feeling blood running through calfs... getting really pissed off with it now. Inner rage maybe lol..

2. Titus Groan

Titus Groan Peer Supporter

I'm not sure if it's the same, but I was diagnosed with "Functional Movement Disorder". My symptoms were fits of shaking/spasming limbs, weakness and burning/tingling. No pain as such, other than just the exhaustion from my limbs seizing up. It's the one thing I've been diagnosed with which the NHS said was linked with anxiety, and knowing that was ultimately what enabled me to overcome it.

Edit: A quick Google showed me this site, which lists both "FND" and "FMD" as synonymous (https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/fnd/ (Functional Neurological Disorder - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders)))

From what I'm seeing, it is considered psychosomatic, and therefore TMS (From what I can tell).

"FND is a condition at the interface between the specialties of neurology and psychiatry. Conventional tests such as MRI brain scans and EEGs are usually normal in patients with FND. This had led, historically, to the condition being relatively neglected by both clinicians and researchers. However, it is now established that FND is a common cause of disability and distress, which may overlap with other problems such as chronic pain and fatigue..."

If it is FND/FMD, then (according to the above) your scans should come back fine. Good that they're sending you for some as that will help put your mind at ease.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  3. Titus Groan

Titus Groan Peer Supporter

Me again. I noticed an earlier thread of yours mentioning that you had recurring UTI's? I also had recurring UTI's many years preceding the onset of my functional disorder - once I clocked on to both these problems as being linked to anxiety, I was able to conquer them (and this was before I discovered TMS).

If you're still struggling with UTI then I totally relate - the pain from those is horrible! Mine were accompanied by testicular and prostate pain and was eventually labelled as Irritable Bladder and Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome. I have also had forearm pain which initially came on around the same time (I saw you mentioned that as a symptom).

If you've been cleared physically and it's all a bit puzzling then be encouraged - you can get better! I would describe myself as 97% rid of the symptoms. They come back very rarely and momentarily and I barely notice it.

Snowman likes this.
  4. Snowman

Snowman Peer Supporter

Thank you for this. I have had scans this year and last year. CT scan, deep CT scan, MRI on brain twice. MRI lumbar,MRI pelvic. I have had private bloods sent from here in the UK to Germany armin labs. That showed my cd57 is very low.
    So might have to go over to get it all checked out as over here the test is not good enough