1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 34 Frustrating parts : past topics unadressed, pain vs anxiety, doubts

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by ChronicVince, Mar 21, 2023.

Tags:
  1. ChronicVince

ChronicVince Peer Supporter

- I have a lot of past subjects to write about it, the more I write about them, the more I remember things I should write about... but the program focus more on personality trait and current stress at this moment

- Frustrated to convert all the time "pain" by "anxiety" to apply it to this symptom ! it needs more energy and time to understand really the message (translating english in my mind, converting physical symptoms to anxiety). Writing this, maybe I could use some physical symptoms of anxiety to simplify this process... but they are numerous and varied, so it's not that easy in practice.

- I start to doubt if I'm not healed before the end, what will I do... probably i any case the new Alan's program anyway. I noticed this little pressure / rumination started.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Ah, CV - you need to understand, and to accept right now, that this may not happen!

Suddenly being healed at the end of the SEP is not realistic, and it's also not the goal. The real goal is to give you the tools you need to get your life back, to keep going, and to keep working at improving your control over your fearful TMS brain. This is a lifelong process. These tools keep you on track with mindfulness, constructive and realistic self-talk, self-soothing, self-compassion, and self love. The tools allow you to get on with your life with new clarity and hope.

If you are experiencing ANY amount of relief this far in the process, this is success. The truth is that achieving 100% healing 100% of the time might never happen - this is the experience that most of us have, in fact. At the same time, if we give up our perfectionism and our expectations, we find that we can be perfectly happy to experience 100% relief on some days, significant relief on most days, and to accept that there will always be days where we fall back and struggle a bit - knowing that we have the tools to recover if we don't allow our fearful brains to take over. Each time we recover better and faster. In other words, we get our lives back.

This is your goal - getting your life back, and having hope for the future. And it's a good one!

3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

You do not have to go through all of your past. That can be another distraction, it keeps you thinking instead of feeling, and keeps you in the past and not the present.
    Look for patterns in the past and how you still do those things. What emotions they suppress, what triggers they create, and how your personality developed to help you cope with the past.
    The program is designed to bring you to the present quickly so that you live in this present time. Going over and over old things does not always help. Your pain may not be gone, but the hope is that your mental suffering will subside so that you can begin to enjoy life, do the tms work you learn more automatically - being kind to yourself, not so much pressure, going to your emotions .. all those personality traits (they are not bad, they just need to lighten up a little!)

4. ChronicVince

ChronicVince Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for that!! That's a great lesson and should be a day of the SEP !!

I had this goal because since Day 3. it says we will cover all subjects by the end... but I also know that I kept adding new items all along the program. ;)
    I will try to look for patterns, very good idea ! And to focus more on present as you advice it to me :) Thank you very much. :)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

You are 100% right about that!