1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Frustrated, keeps returning!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Leslie735, May 4, 2017.

1. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

I've been practicing TMS work for a solid 2 weeks now. My pain has reduced quite a bit. Back story, I'm having some sort of pelvic pain. Its more of a quick electric type pain in my vaginal area (where its suppose to feel good, ugh!) that comes and goes. It was everyday, several times a day, and now I can go a day or two without it at all or just have it a few times in a day. So I feel I'm making progress, which I'm happy about. I'm frustrated today though, I went 3 days (which is record!) and just had the sensation a few minutes ago completely out of the blue. Its a very brief pain, doesn't linger but it always stops me in my tracks when it happens. I'm really upset, why is is still coming back? I'm reading the books, doing the SEP program, deep breathing, asking myself what emotions I"m feeling etc. Am I doing something wrong? Last time I did this with urinary issues, I got rid of it completely within a week. While I'm doing the SEP program I notice I'm journaling about the exact same things as last time, so maybe i'm not uncovering the real issue? I'm getting worried that maybe its something physical afterall. :(

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  2. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

May I suggest a technique? When that pain comes on, thank it for reminding you to think about your current emotions. Try being nice to the pain. It goes against our natural reaction to pain, and can be helpful to re-program our mind. Since you've been helped using the TMS approach before, I'm sure you are well on your way to healing from this! Good luck to you!

- Matt

3. Leslie735

Good idea! I will give it a try. So far, I've just been asking myself "what am I feeling right now?" then I answer the question. But maybe I''ll try that as well. :)

4. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

It is possible, and in my experience useful, to be more precise than just asking "what am I feeling right now?" Frances Sommer Anderson, one of the psychologists who worked with Sarno's patients, recommends taking a "feeling inventory" several times during the day and evening. (Anderson & Sherman, Pathways to Pain Relief p. 14. ) She added that initially some people need to take the inventory every hour. Regarding that, she wrote: "Ask yourself, "What am I feeling about the events that happened during the past hour?" (Emphasis added by me.) A feeling is a response to a stimulus. Asking "what am I feeling about . . . " helps get to the emotion by drawing attention to its stimulus. I think this approach is useful regardless of the time interval of the feeling inventory--hourly, several times a day, or only when the pain occurs.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Leslie735 and MSZ812 like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Leslie. I think you need to work harder on increasing your belief in TMS. You say you worry your pain may be something physical after all. Dr. Sarno says it takes 100 belief in TMS to heal. It isn't easy for most of us, but that's what it took for me to be rid of severe back pain. I journaled and discovered repressed anger from my boyhood when my parents divorced.

Leslie735 likes this.
  6. Leslie735

You're right and i completely agree. I thought I was there but the doubts and fear creep in anytime I feel anything. I am ready 3 of Sarnos books and Claire Weeks, doing the SEP program, and reading on the forums. I try to ask myself what emotions I'm feeling on a regular basis, deep breathing, mindfulness and prayer. What else can I do?

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Leslie, I think belief in TMS and patience are what you need to do/have.

Maybe make a list of things that trouble or worry you. That is bound to lead to any as-yet not discovered emotions.

8. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Leslie, I just want to encourage you. It happens like that sometimes. The pain goes away and comes back. Who knows why it comes back. It could be for all sorts of reasons and we're all unique. But one thing that has worked for me is to just stay true to believing (or working towards that belief) that it's TMS.

9. mkdragonfly

mkdragonfly New Member

Leslie - something that I'm learning about myself is that I put a lot of energy into thinking about my pain (do I have it? is it more? is it less?) which funny thing, just makes the pain stronger! The reminder to think psychological not physical is hard for me, but I'm working on it. I've been helped by talking to a pain counselor and giving myself acceptance and empathy and love for where I am and trying to have "outcome independence." I've been reading and doing the Presence Process which is helping to calm me down and I am tending to stay more out of the physical more than I used to. I have good days and I have bad days, but the good days make me hopeful!

10. Leslie735

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the encouragement and advice. The last couple days have been bad days and I'm just struggling. :( Im just going to keep trying.