1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Free for a full year! Back Spasms gone!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by samantha, Jun 2, 2015.

1. samantha

samantha Peer Supporter

When I first found this site, I had been suffering with debilitating back pain for 9 years. When my back first 'went out', I was diagnosed with a herniated disk. I went through physical therapy and had a complete recovery after some months. Every year since then, my back 'went out' at least twice per year. I could not walk, bathe, or engage in any activity without assistance. Driving a car caused great discomfort. These episodes came without warning and would last for a couple of months. Each time I dutifully did the exercises and came back to full function. By the time of my last episode, I was diagnosed with a herniated disk, 2 bulging disks and degenerative disk disease. In December of 2013, as I was pulling on my socks, I felt the familiar spasms and was rendered incapacitated. That time, even after physical therapy, I had to use a walker and cane to ambulate. It was then that someone gave me a copy of Sarno's book on back pain. I thought it read like a cheap infomercial. I was not impressed. But, in desperation, I came on this site and began to go through the instructional program. Every day I logged on, read the 'lesson' for the day, journaled, meditated and began to see the logic that the pain in my back was actually caused by my mind. I cannot tell you that I had an instant cure. Rather, each day I was able to walk a little more. I realized that I finally 'got it', when I felt a back spasm and I spoke sternly to it- telling it that I was going to feel my emotions rather than suppress them. The spasm stopped!! It has been over a year since that episode. I heartily recommend this program. It's scary sometimes to open up to our emotions, but it certainly is better than enduring crippling symptoms. Hope my story inspires you to continue in your own healing!

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

That's terrific to hear, Samantha. Thanks for coming back to share your story with us. I remember reading your posts and am glad to hear you are doing well.

I particularly like your story because it wasn't an instant cure and you had to be patient. That is how it works for most people, and people need role models of people who really struggled.

3. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Really pleased to hear, Samantha. You certainly put in the work and it has paid off. Well done! And Forest is so right in his comment.

4. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

awesome and really helpful to others who struggle. I think a huge part of the struggle is down to the fact you literally have to unlearn many popular ideas when it comes to back pain. Then you feel like you are being conned and fooled! gah!

its tough but hang in there folks!

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Samantha,
    Congratulations on your success, which was obviously obtained with effort and persistence. It really feels like a miracle to me, my success, and it all comes back when I read your story. Thank you.
    Andy B.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Samantha. Your success story is so wonderful and inspirational.
    It's especially helpful for those who have had MRIs that indicate herniated discs.
    Dr. Sarno says those do not cause pain. TMS causes the pain, as you learned.

New anxieties, worries, etc. may come along. If they do and there are new or old pain symptoms,
    you know how to heal. TMS is our friend. It can be tough love, but it's love nonetheless.

I've always said success is 101 percent perseverance, and so too is belief in TMS.