1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Free chapters from Herbie and Walt's book (Ch1 for next Tuesday)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Update: The book has been released and is available on Kindle (click here to purchase). It will be available in paperback on Friday, and we will be reading the first chapter for this Tuesday's TMS discussion group. Also, Herbie and Walt, who originally met on this forum, have generously allowed us to post the first five chapters of their book for free. To download and for details, see this post.

Hi everyone, I've recently heard that the new TMS book, by our very own @walt glenview and @Eric "Herbie" Watson will be coming out soon! I spoke to Walt and while he didn't mention a specific release date, it sounds like it will be within a couple of weeks. Perhaps, in the meantime, they can use this thread to make announcements.

For those who don't know them yet, Herbie and Walt are two of the very most beloved members of this forum and have helped many people to heal from TMS. Herbie has read very widely and brings a sensitivity and passion to his moderation of the Tuesday discussion group. Walt, at 84, has lived a rich and long life that is a great source of wonderful stories and great "back to basics" advice.

The book looks like it is combination of two different things. The first thing is a memoir, in which each of the authors tell the story of how they got their TMS and how they healed. In the second part, larger, they share the specific strategies that they used and found most helpful.

I'm sure that there will be more information coming as we get closer, but, in the meantime, I thought it would be helpful if we made a wiki page for the book. I mean, they are two of us! We had better have a page for them!

So Becca and I made a page. We're continuing to work on it, but there's enough to share already. Here's the link:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/God_Does_Not_Want_You_to_Be_in_Pain
    I will paste the current content of the wiki page below.

Let's all give warm congratulations to our two new authors!

God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain
    By Eric Watson and Walter Oleksy
    Published in 2014

[​IMG]

Overview
    God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain: Proven Techniques and Faith Can Heal You combines Walter Oleksy and Eric Watson's recovery from TMS (back pain) and the important role faith had in both their journeys. Alternating between Walt and Eric's perspectives, God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain describes both authors' journey battling their chronic back pain from onset to recovery; how faith and spirituality tied into their recovery; and the techniques the authors used to overcome their TMS.

Healing Concepts
    Interspersed throughout the book, Walt and Eric add a variety of “healing concepts” that were important in their own recovery. These include not only specific techniques or exercises but also particular mindsets. Some of these concepts are based in other therapies such as Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) and Emotion Freedom Technique (EFT).

Major healing concepts found throughout the book include (but are not limited to):

• Acceptance
    • Affirmations
    • Awareness
    • Deep breathing
    • Faith (religious, spiritual, or non-denominational belief)
    • Flipping
    • Forgiveness
    • Laughter
    • Meditation
    • Mindfulness
    • Imagery and visualization
    • Journaling
    • Reconsolidation
    • Reframing
    • Tapping
    • Visualization
    The Faith Aspect
    “People of all faiths or none are welcome here.” -- Introduction
    Though both Eric and Walt are Christian (Walt is Catholic; Eric is Baptist), their book focuses not on religion but on spirituality and the underlying theme of belief. However, in writing their individual journeys, both identified their relationship with God as a crucial part of their healing process. As Eric wrote in the introduction, “Walt and I both also added the spiritual element to our healing, asking God to help us become pain-free, and we believe that was a very important part in our healing.”

Table of Contents
    Introduction: Pain-Free for Life, Meditation Techniques, the "Inner Child"
    Eric's Journey - 1: I Get Clobbered / The Fear Factor
    Walt's Journey - 1: I, Too, Get Clobbered
    Eric's Journey - 2: Acceptance, Affirmations, Awareness, Anxiety, Re-framing and Re-conditioning
    Walt's Journey - 2: “It Woiks!” Journaling, Trouble Sleeping? Deep Breathing
    Eric's Journey - 3: Acceptance, Awareness, Mindfulness, Knowledge, Stressors, Physical Activity
    Walt's Journey - 3: Journaling - 1: “The Good : Old Days”
    Eric's Journey - 4: Imaging, Focusing, NLP Swishing, Reconsolidation, Reprogrammed Dreams, Arsenal of Healing, Belief Systems
    Walt's Journey - 4: Journaling - 2: “The Girls I Left Behind Me” Laugh It Off, Laughter Yoga, A Sex Break
    Eric's Journey - 5: “The Glow of the Faithful” and “The Visit” About Perceptions, Knowledge Therapy, How to Know it's TMS
    Walt's Journey - 5: Journaling 3 - “Of Love and Sauerkraut”
    Eric's Journey - 6: Law of Attraction, Affirmations, Visualizations, Anxiety and Panic Attacks, Time-Line Therapy
    Walt's Journey - 6: Journaling - 5: “The Whale That Got Away”
    Eric's Journey - 7: I Get Clobbered Again. What Causes TMS, Fear, “The Inner Child,” Summary of TMS Healing Techniques
    Walt's Journey - 7: Tapping, Flipping, Matrix Reimprinting, Meditation
    Eric's Journey - 8: Visualization and Meditation, The Colors of Fear, Reprogramming Anger
    Walt's Journey - 8: Live in the Present Moment
    Eric's Journey - 9: Miracles in My Life
    Walt's Journey - 9: The End Game
    Eric's Journey - 10: Affirmations Work
    Walt's Journey - 10: Faith and Spirituality, Power of Prayer in Healing, Fear and Faith
    TMS P.S.: The Best Plan for TMS Healing, The Faith Factor

About the Authors
    Eric Watson
    [​IMG]
    Born and raised in Georgia, Eric Watson describes himself as “a roofer by trade and, by calling, a Southern preacher” (Introduction, God Does Not Want You to Be in Pain). Eric suffered from back pain for 25 years before he discovered the TMS approach.

Eric is also the moderator of the Tuesday night call-in discussion group.

Some Links

Walter Oleksy
    [​IMG]
    A longtime resident of Chicago, Walter Oleksy is former reporter and editor for the Chicago Tribune and currently works as a freelance writer of both fiction and nonfiction books for all ages.

Walt has also accumulated the most likes on the PTPN's discussion forum.

Some Links
    Related Links

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, thanks to Forest and Becca for this thread about Herbie's and my book.
    We worked on it for nearly two years, which is a blink of an eye compared to the ten years or more
    that Steve worked on his, The Great Pain Deception, but Herbie and I felt we had told our stories
    and shared healing techniques that could be helpful, especially to those who have worked on
    TMS a while and are not yet totally pain-free. Some of our suggestions may do that.

I'll check now to see if the book is available and the best way to get it. It's a little under 300 pages
    with an extensive index, and in both paperback and in a Kindle edition.

I'll post again in a few minutes on availability.

Sincere thanks to everyone for their interest and support. We hope the book helps to spread the word
    about TMS. We're sending a copy to Dr. Sarno in hopes he will read it and give his thoughts on it and
    approval.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I just checked with the publisher, CreateSpace, and they said the book has gone through
    the final editing process and will be available for purchase from amazon.com books
    in 5 to 7 work days, so that means April 1, 2, or 3.

We prefer you order it from amazon.com books because they are the parent company of
    CreateSpace books and will do the most for marketing it.

We aren't sure when it will be available at brick-and-mortar book stores but it will be.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Ill post again about the Kindle edition when I learn its availability.

5. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations both with the birth of your book!! I am certain people will benefit from it. The contents look very promising.

6. Becca

Becca Well known member

Having read large portions of Walt and Herbie's book, I really, truly believe this. I am a Jew - a Reconstructionist Jew, at that. That's basically as liberal as you can get in Judaism. And -- full disclosure here -- I also don't believe in a "big man in the sky" sort of God. I do believe in something bigger than myself, something larger and greater than the natural world we live in. That's what I call having faith. And that is what this book preaches (pun intended ;)). Faith, not religion. Belief, not doctrine. These are universal themes, and important themes that help us overcome not only TMS but all adversity. Adversity's worst nightmare is the combination of faith and belief. For some, that is belief in yourself and your abilities. For some, it's faith that there's a light at the end of the tunnel even if you can't see it. But for others, belief entails looking to a higher power for guidance and strength. Having faith means trusting that God will guide them out of darkness. This is a crucial part of both Herbie and Walt's journeys, and they are not shy in conveying it, nor should they be. In the end, it doesn't matter, I don't think. This is, fundamentally, a book that describes the immense, immense power of faith and belief. How that faith and belief manifests is rather irrelevant. The healing lessons Walt and Herbie share in the book, however, are very relevant. These are two incredibly wise and rather remarkable people. We're lucky to have them here on the forum!

LindaRK, G.R., Ellen and 2 others like this.
  7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

To quote Herbie, "Awesome!"... Congratulations on this important accomplishment. tiphata

G.R. and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  8. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I already have the book on my Kindle! I ordered it a few days and have been enjoying it! I can hear Herbie's soft Georgia drawl while I read the words. And now, I'll be able to hear Walt's gentle voice reassuring me when I read the parts he wrote.

Becca, I love what you shared. I think it's pretty cool that you're Jewish too. I've made a couple of friends on FB that are Jewish and I've really enjoyed learning more about that religion. I never hear the term "Reconstructionist" before would that be the same as a Secular Jew?

And yes, faith and belief….it's all a mystery regardless of how one approaches it.

9. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

I have the Kindle copy too! So excited for you both! Looking forward to reading your stories! :)

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm glad you both have the Kindle edition of the book already.
    I have a few corrections to make but nothing serious.
    They're not our voices, though.

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

NorthStar and Pandagirl,
    Herbie says it helps a lot if you both and others, after reading the book,
    will submit a review of it to amazon.com books. Herbie and Steve say reviews
    influence amazon.com a lot in helping them to spread the word about a book.

Thanks!

G.R. likes this.
  12. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I will happily do that, Walt. I know how important those ratings are. I'll let you know when I do post. I have to finish the book first!

Eric "Herbie" Watson and G.R. like this.
  13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks, North Star. It was great talking to you last night, even if briefly.
    That sure was a terrific call-in.

The book may take a while to read and digest. No hurry.

14. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

Congratulations Herbie and Walt - I know we are all looking forward to reading your book. I'm sure everyone who does so will be happy to submit a review on Amazon to boost your ratings. I love Amazon!

I find that so many nowadays that I meet in my volunteer ministry claim that they are more "spiritual" rather than "religious." Understandably so, since so many are jaded from the hypocrisy they see in actual "religion." So I think it will be beneficial to have a book that touches on spirituality, as I think it will resonate with a larger audience out there.

15. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Awesome Pandagirl, thanks. See the very reason I wanted to write the book was because I knew that it took more for me to heal ya know. Other approaches did help me for sure and I stand beside it for sure but I had to learn how to put this puzzle together that came with no instructions and that puzzle was all the tools I used to heal with. To make a long story short I didn't hold anything back. I told in the book every tool i used and how I used it to heal. I hope you enjoy it and heal with it, Bless you.

If you have any questions let me know here and I will explain it ok. If its not for everyone then just write me @ ericwatson3336@yahoo.com and I will answer any questions.

Thanks and Bless You

Pandagirl and G.R. like this.
  16. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thank You so much North Star. Remember if you have any questions. We're here ok.
    Bless You

17. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Awww, thank you so much tigerlilly. Awesome.

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks, Tigerlily. We speak more of spiritual than religious,
    and I agree about the hipocrites. I can't believe most of the televangelists.

19. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Herbie and Walt, You guys are just awesome!!!! What an accomplishment!!!!

I just started tonight to read the book. It drew me right in; I could not stop reading.
    I related to so many things that were said. I thought you were talking about me.

Herbie, I love that you say you have to put this puzzle together with no instructions.
    Isn't that sometimes how it is.

I will be such a privilege to write a review.
    My Warmest Regards,
    G.R.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Forest like this.
  20. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Awww, thank you so much G.R. I'm lost for words. Keep reading, it gets better and better,
    This book has a lot of insight for sure.
    Bless You