1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Forums - Good or Bad

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Spagolli74, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Spagolli74

Spagolli74 New Member

First off, let me say... What a great forum! Nothing like this existed when I had my first bout with TMS 20 years ago.

However, I'm torn. When I first beat TMS, I did so by ignoring and forgetting my pain. I stopped all therapy. I stopped all research. I resumed my normal life and my lower back pain literally vanished.

Now that I'm dealing with TMS in my knees, I'm wondering if forums like this are a good thing or a bad thing. I spent a lot of time reading thread before signing up and making some posts. All this time, I was focused on my knee pain when I know the cure depends on FORGETTING about my pain because there is nothing really wrong with me.

Is it possible that performing hours of additional research and participating on forums like this could actually be counterproductive in our efforts to recover from TMS? After all, isn't the whole goal to get your mind to focus on something else other than this pain it has manifested???

I'm torn and curious to hear what all of you think.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes! Find your own way. Now you know that there is this wonderful community of like-experienced people, and you've gathered some new encouragement and perspectives. This may be enough support. Just knowing. Then leave and do what works for you!! That is what I did. I didn't want to get confused in my approach. I kept with what was working, on my own, once I got some ideas, and did not return until I was mostly over the recovery process.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Simplicity likes this.
  3. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

4. Spagolli74

Spagolli74 New Member

Thanks for the link. That OP had the same concerns as I. I intend to spend some time gathering some research to bolster my confidence in my self-diagnosis of TMS. Then, it's time for me to get out of Dodge and focus on living a normal life, not focused on TMS or pain.

As has been pointed out, if you focus on PT, treatments, watching YouTube videos, or forums like this, that could be counterproductive to the cure.

Forums like this are great though - it's nice to know I'm not alone. Then again, there are millions of people suffering from TMS. I tell them all about it, and how a book cured my chronic back pain 20 years ago, but they think I'm crazy. Maybe I should point them to this great forum!!

Simplicity and KatheC like this.
  5. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

It's great that you have a plan. I agree with @Andy B that you have to find your own way... and you can always come here for support whenever you need it. Best of luck!

6. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

Pick and choose what you want to read when you come here if you think you're still vulnerable. Read inspiring success stories. Read posts by experts in the Ask a Therapist section or posts in the mind body blog. Search for posts from members you find interest and beneficial to you and follow those members. Stay away from post with headings like: "please help", "I'm struggling", " oh Nooooo", " .... so so bad"...... If you're not heal yet and you're not able to cure your own self yet, it is very difficult to help someone else, and you may even get negatively effected by reading those depressing posts. If you do read them, skim fast over the questions and just read the "answers" parts.

Simplicity and Boston Redsox like this.
  7. Spagolli74

Spagolli74 New Member

Balto, we are on the same page. As I scanned the forum posts, I made a conscious decision to skip any of the negative posts as I don't want them to casts any doubts over my self-diagnosed TMS. That said, as I've kicked TMS once before (for my back), by belief in Dr. Sarno's theory is VERY strong. One must accept and believe that the pain isn't caused by a structural abnormality before the healing can begin. For my back, I had to hit rock bottom first. I had to try every possible medical solution (and fail) before I was willing to accept that Sarno might just be right. Once I bought into the theory and resumed normal life, I was healed within a week. Now I just need to do the same for my knee.

8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

That all depends, it could be good--or it could be bad.

Remember what Mark Twain said:
    "Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016