1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Forbidden Planet

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by James59, Oct 31, 2013.

1. James59

James59 Well known member

A couple nights ago I watched the 1956 movie Forbidden Planet, one of the best science fiction movies of that era. I've seen it a few times before, but my understanding of TMS theory helped me appreciate the film even more. I don't want to give away too many details in case you haven't seen it, but subconscious rage plays a critical role in the climax. Watching the movie gave me some new insights into why TMS can be so tenacious for some of us. If you haven't seen it, at least not recently, you might want to check it out.

MontanaMom and Forest like this.
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

It's amazing how TMS insight leads us to see links everywhere! Congratulations James! I haven't seen the movie, but would love to.

James59 likes this.
  3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Darn! I was hoping it was available on Netflix streaming but no dice. We enjoy SciFi in my home so I hope one of the local shops has it.
    And yea, it is amazing how things look so different when viewed through the TMS lens.

James59 likes this.
  4. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

PS Forbidden Planet is available through Amazon...free if you have a Prime Membership.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Great find, James59 and MontanaMom. I do have a Prime membership and have already started watching it. It really looks terrific. The script is very multi-layered and the production is amazing. Anyone can rent it for $3, but it's free with Prime.

Here is what Wikipedia had to say about it:
    Forbidden Planet is a 1956 science fiction film[2][3] directed by Fred M. Wilcox, a screenplay by Cyril Hume, and starring Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, and Leslie Nielsen. The characters and isolated setting have been compared to those in William Shakespeare's The Tempest,[4] and its plot does contain certain story analogues and a reference to one section of Jung's theory on the collective subconscious.[5] Forbidden Planet is the first science fiction film in which humans are depicted traveling in a starship of their own creation.[6] It was also the very first science fiction film set entirely on another world in interstellar space, far away from the planet Earth.[7] Forbidden Planet is considered one of the great science fiction films of the 1950s,[8] a precursor of what was to come for the science fiction film genre in the decades that followed.​

Truly a classic film. I can't wait to hear what Walt has to say about it, as he used to write about Movies for the Chicago Tribune and may have already begun when this came out. Also very interested to hear what Bruce might say.

Definitely classic cinema in my view. Worth a watch.

James59 likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It's a great movie with lots of TMS. Especially the ending.

Turner Classic movies airs it several times a year.

I'll write about it for TMS in Pop Culture.

James59 likes this.
  7. Forest

Great idea, Walt. By the way, if anyone has any other ideas for where TMS appears in Pop Culture, please share them in the following thread:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/tms-and-pop-culture.2420/
    Walt will be combining them all into a wiki page that will be available for anyone who is interested in TMS.

James59 likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Good. That should spread the word.

I remember that scene in FORBIDDEN PLANET and it was 100 percent TMS.
    The story is based on Shakespeare's "The Tempest," so there are parallels for me to write about.

James59 likes this.
  9. James59

James59 Well known member

Walt, I'd heard that it was based on The Tempest but I had forgotten that part. I'm not familiar with that work of Shakespeare, though, but I expect he didn't envision machines that could bring thoughts to life. Google probably has something on the drawing boards by now, I suspect! :eek:

10. Forest

I found a great short documentary on the movie as well. It talks about the connections to The Tempest and comes in two parts. I remember watching the movie as a kid, but I never knew that it was such a notable movie in its time. If you just watch the first minute or so of the following, you'll get a sense of what I mean. (I wouldn't watch it if you're planning on watching the movie in the next couple of days)

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Great stuff, Rob. It's a great example of TMS.