1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 For the 2nd time...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by cirrusnarea, Dec 8, 2013.

1. cirrusnarea

cirrusnarea Well known member

I've decided to go through the program again, as I'm not completely pain free although I've seen a lot of improvement. As of right now, my main symptom is a mid-back ache I get practically everyday at work, about halfway through the day. Often I don't notice it, but often it is so bad I can't concentrate and just push myself to get through the day like a zombie. I find myself doubting it's TMS thinking it could be weak back muscles. I know I have TMS, but while most symptoms have gone away, this one remains. Also, I get numbness in my left foot which is kinda scary. Everything has been checked out by the doctor, except for the the foot thing, so I'm drawing the line there.

Dr. Sarno says that 5% will need psychotherapy. I'm sure I'm one of those 5%. And while I have been seeing a psychologist for some time now, I don't see many benefits as he works from mostly a cognitive approach. Anyway, this is where I'm at at this point. I feel like I've gotten my life back, but I still can't quite enjoy it. I'm hoping for the best. I want to be pain free.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Cirrusnarea,

I admire your persistence and diligence as you start the SEP a second time. Yes, some of us need more time and support to meet our goals. I consider TMS healing a lifelong journey requiring me to make choices everyday that support a healthy mindbody. I'm finding that with more practice it becomes less work.

Perhaps a change in therapist would be a good thing for you at this point? As Dr. Sarno says, a cognitive approach doesn't work for TMS. If it did, many of us would have been healed a long time ago.

Congratulations on sticking with the program. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

3. cirrusnarea

cirrusnarea Well known member

Yeah, I have the feeling I need a new therapist who is analytically trained. I like my current therapist a lot, but I do get the feeling I've gone as far with him as I can.

4. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Good for you for diving into the program again cirrusnarea. I perked up when I saw that you had mid back pain. That has been my trigger area also. I haven't talked to many who have their TMS show up there. And IT IS DISTRACTING!! I want to give you a pat on the back (no pun intended) for working anyway. The habit I have had to break is when I get the pain, I immobilize myself, like a frozen popsicle - thinking if I don't move or breathe, then it won't keep triggering. Now I do the opposite, especially when I recognize that its oxygen deprivation that is causing the pain... I move like crazy. I look like an insane person - squiggling and wriggling my body every which way. And yes, I've had to go to a bathroom stall to do this. Ha-ha Or I go for a walk and experience my body in a different way - get my mind off the triggered painful area. Looking forward to your posts and journey here!

G.R. likes this.