1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Foot cramp resulting in swelling and some pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by urawesome, May 12, 2018.

1. urawesome

urawesome New Member

Hi,

I'm a believer in TMS because I've had my share of back issues that I learned was definitely caused by TMS.

And here again, I suspect that my foot swelling and pain might be the result of TMS. For the record, I'm really angry at my brain for giving me pain.

About a month ago, after a long bike ride on a nice sunny day, I put my right foot to the ground stopping for a red light. My foot cramped up like never before. I usually get cramps various places. This time it was severe. I should have pulled over to the side to deal with it but I let it cramp. The light turned green and I put pressure on the pedal to straighten out my toes. I didn't think anything of it. I could still walk on my foot.

A couple of days later, I started to feel pain and noticed swelling. The only thing I could relate it to was the cramp. There is absolutely no color change in the skin, no red, no blue, same color as before. The swelling goes mostly down when I elevate my foot and it completely goes down overnight. As soon as I walk on it, my foot starts to swell. The pain comes and goes. I feel the pain on the ball of my foot and toes. I didn't know what to think of it until I read about stress fracture. But it doesn't make sense for me because I don't feel pain all the time. I would say most of the time, only discomfort maybe because of the swelling.

I'm hesitant to go to the dr just because my health insurance from my company has a high deductible. If it is a stress fracture, I do really do not want to give up biking and walk around with an over-sized shoe and then go to Physical Therapy. I've felt the pain travel at one point to my other foot in the same place and up my right ankle. I know this is a classic sign of TMS when pain travels.

For the last week or so, I've been writing down everything I can from my childhood. Years ago when I dealt with my back issues (multiple episodes of the same herniated disc) when I read in the MindBody Prescription that my brain was causing me the pain, I got real angry at my brain and cursed it out and pushed through the pain when walking. Felt like bone rubbing against bone. It was excruciating pain but when I noticed the slightest improvement, I kept at it and soon enough the pain was gone in a few hours! That's when I became a firm believer of TMS!! Seriously, it's messed up!! This time the angry method is not helping or maybe I'm not doing it as strongly as before.

Even when writing this post, I can feel a twinge in my foot of the muscle or tendon, not sure what it is, of it threatening to cramp. Bottom line and the reason for my post, I'm not 100% sure it's TMS. Is there a possibility it is a stress fracture and maybe the bones heal itself when I'm at rest? But then last weekend I went on a very long walk with no issue other then feeling that my foot is swelling. I just don't know.

Anyone have similar experience?