1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

fluid in the knee

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Trainert, May 24, 2016.

1. Trainert

Trainert New Member

Hi,
    I have a developed knee pain over the past few months. My mri shows a torn meniscus. My orthopedist who is familiar with Dr Sarno's approach said he would think it is tms except for the fluid that is in my knee. Does fluid indicate a lack of tms? Or, is that just "inflammation"? I am ready to treat it as tms but don't want to hurt myself if it is not. Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated!
    Thanks,

2. mc1986

mc1986 Peer Supporter

Hi Trainert,
    I don't have a definitive answer for you but the therapist I work with told me that when he was dealing with tms knee pain his knee would swell every time it rained. I'm not sure if this was due to "fluid" or not but it is certainly amazing that mind is capable of creating such a change.

3. Trainert

Trainert New Member

Thanks for your response. still dealing with this. ;(

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I had the "water on the knee" diagnosis on several occasions but it was always TMS. The swelling and loss of range of movement were simply somatic responses. If you're not healing then that further points to a mindbody effect. But there are few things that aren't.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  5. Trainert

Trainert New Member

Thank you. That was very helpful. Having a really hard time with this one.

6. Ines

Ines Well known member

Hey Trainert,
    My husband went through this. He is not a TMS'er and it was interesting to observe. They told him it was a torn miniscus. His knee would swell to the size of a grapefruit and would last for days and days. He saw multiple dr.'s and they wanted to operate on him. He came home one day and said "they're all full of shit." He bought a bike and that was the end of that. He rode for a year.
    It was fascinating to me to remember how he handled this. It was before I knew about TMS. He basically said, my knee is fine and pushed through it and it went away. That was after a year of back and forth with pain and swelling and dr.s.
    When I found out about TMS I remembered how that all went down for him and I used that as inspiration.
    Good luck.

7. Steve Ozanich

Yes Ines, your husband did the right thing intuitively. Fear is the evil, and he conquered his with a bike. He sounds like an athlete or military man,

Ines likes this.
  8. Trainert

Trainert New Member

That is truly amazing!! I am 98 % confident it is tms...it's the 2 % that is getting me.....How do I gain that certainty? I do barbell lifting and I am trying to push through but the pain gets me and it's excruciating and I can't keep the barbell balanced on my back....

9. Steve Ozanich

Never attack the pain, and 98% conscious belief means little. It's your unconscious you need to get to. When it believes it's ok then you are on your way, good luck.

10. Trainert

Trainert New Member

Thanks....I need it