1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Fluctuation in Symptoms

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by AkashVerma, May 11, 2023.

1. AkashVerma

AkashVerma Peer Supporter

I have recently started journalling. Since starting of Journalling and emotional work, I have noticed that symptoms have fluctuating a lot. Frequency and spike of pain has risen. When pain is low, I feel anxious or little bit depressed. I has really left me confused if I am on right track or not. Is it expected to see change in symptoms? Is it part of defense mechanism or symptoms imperative?

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sorry, @AkashVerma , this one slipped by without any responses, and I'm sorry about that because this is great news! YES is the answer to all of your questions! This is your brain on TMS, fighting to keep you in fear. Many people report all of these things at about Day 7 or so of doing the SEP - the addition of anxiety and depression are extremely common.

The key, of course, is to keep going. That being said, you could give yourself a short break, perhaps a couple of days, using the time to explore calming techniques like therapeutic breathwork or meditation or other mindful practices. Or listen to some podcast episodes with Nicole Sachs, who is so calming and reassuring.

Good job!

AkashVerma likes this.
  3. AkashVerma

AkashVerma Peer Supporter

Is it okay to pause journalling for two to three days? My symptoms get so intense during flare ups that I can hardly concentrate and form thoughts clearly.

4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

You don’t need to ask permission, just do what you need to do. Grow in confidence that you are on the right path!

Dorado likes this.