1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Fix all psychological problems?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Freedom, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

After going through Dr. Sarno's book I have many questions, one of which is:

He states that knowing about TMS will relieve your pain/symptoms. What I'm wondering is, if you have underlying emotional problems (which results in unconcious rage) than wouldn't the TMS return if you don't fix those emotional problems [if that's what caused it in the first place] ??

My thoughts after the book are along the lines of "if this issues caused the pain, then I need to work double time to fix them. If only I had been more successful at accomplishing the things that were important to me and my values, I wouldn't be experiencing this right now."

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Andrew,

Your concern is valid, in my opinion, but perhaps not really correct. Dr. Sarno says that you have to cognitively connect the underlying emotional tension causes to your symptoms. He does not say you have to straighten everything out down deep. In fact, that may be impossible!

As you engage with a program, or journaling, or contemplation of the stresses and inner tensions you will be able to, using Dr. Sarno's blueprint, connect this to your pain. He says "use your imagination" to discover how your inner child might feel or be reacting down deep. As you learn more, you may have more and more understanding and compassion for yourself, and your patterns. As this happens, in my experience, there can be slow, long-term change, based on self-care. There can be more love. How you want to be in your life will come with more love.

But love moves to hurt and pain naturally; it is not responsive to a "fixing approach."

If you step back a little from this thought --natural as it is-- you may see a certain level of pushing or self-rejection. This may feel familiar. This can be a gentle place to start your inquiry: How does your inner child feel in relationship to these messages? Behind? Not good enough? Pushed? Then what is the inner child's reaction? Rage, withdrawal, hurt? I am just brainstorming these ideas, but this is a natural place to start, and understand that it is the recognition of the inner tension, not the fixing of it, that is the basic approach. Pushing ourselves to fix stuff (in our inner or outer life) tends to make us more anxious and more reactive inside...

Andy B

plum likes this.