1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

First steps

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Clara, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Clara

Clara New Member

Over the last few months I have become increasingly convinced that unresolved emotional issues contribute to the shoulder and wrist pain I have experienced in relation to violin playing and computer work over the last six years, but I felt myself to be lacking guidance and orientation in order to address these.

Stumbling across Sarno's work today set off a chain reaction and I have now ordered the book "Mindbody Prescription" and am looking forward to reading it.

At the outset I have to say it is a daunting prospect to wholly embrace the idea that the problems could be purely psychological in nature, when I, as so many other forum members before me, have invested substantial time and energy in alternative treatments and mainstream medicine and have multiple diagnoses on hand as to what the physical root of the problem could be (muscle disbalance, tendinitis/RSI).

I also sense the inner perfectionist in me wanting to conquer the pain and complete the programm so well and so fast instead of really trusting the process and not getting unduly attached to instant outcomes.

As it stands I would say I feel open and curious about the process, though my acceptance of the diagnosis is still admittedly somewhat patchy, and my commitment to the programme marred somewhat by previous disappointments.

I hope the education programme and support from the forum and reading the book will help me to grow my commitment to a path of healing and I welcome any comments and from others who have trodden their own paths already.

2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Clara:

I too thought I'd "whip through the program" and come out pain free in six weeks. Didn't happen. But I've learned a lot and find that it's been a slow process in accepting the diagnosis 100%. I think what was key for me was working the suggestions of the program and learning all I had suppressed over the years. I started the program in January. I've had a lot of success, but have also been distracted from what I know for me - needs to be a daily routine.

Have to agree with you here too. After reading "Healing Back Pain" and "The Mindbody Prescription" I was on the fence, but the SEP had me working for 90 minutes daily, for over 6 weeks. I came to learn a lot about myself and about where my pain originated. Eventually it became a process. And the process and retraining of how I think has taken over whether or not I'm going to be disappointed.

I will also say that things you may have tried in the past were perhaps dependent on what doctors, therapists, and well meaning alternative therapists may have said - were all let downs. But with this program - it's all up to you as to what you get out of it and how you approach your pain issues.

Best of luck. Will continue to watch as you go through the program.

BG