1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 First day of SEP

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by c90danwaiel, Oct 8, 2016.

1. c90danwaiel

c90danwaiel Peer Supporter

Hi all,
    I just started reading Sarno's book about two days ago, so this is all still quite new to me. I've been struggling with pelvic pain/prostatitis symptoms for about 4 months now. I'd say I'm currently about 90-95% convinced this is TMS or at least psychosomatic.

My symptoms over the past four months have varied and shifted so much (as have my triggers) that only something mental only really makes sense. When I've been most distracted and absorbed in other activities is when I've noticed my pain is least. Apart from those activities, I've been extremely absorbed in what my pain could be and how to fix it. Doing my best to change that and start living my life again, and accept the pain.

Today, I did the unthinkable and rode my bicycle, which before now, I thought had triggered my symptoms. Rode 2 miles and my symptoms are pretty much the same as they were before. For someone who thought they had pudendal nerve entrapment, that would near unthinkable.

A little frustrated I haven't had a book cure (although I honestly haven't even finished the book yet! Got to keep reading), but I'm determined to stick with this. I've had psychosomatic issues before - particularly when I was younger, with skin sensitivity. They were less severe and went away with time. Hoping the same will happen here.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi v90danwaiel,
    You are making huge progress already!!

Take that quote and realization, about your bike experience, and nail it to your forehead! I had only a few breakthroughs, like this, and this undermined the whole TMS process and I was on my way. You have a great attitude, and the only thing you might add is patience, which is hard with pain!

Andy B

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. c90danwaiel

c90danwaiel Peer Supporter

Thanks! I'm really encouraged. I did another 3.6 miles on my bike today and ended up pain-free for parts of the ride. My pain didn't change much. Did have a pain spike about 5 hrs. later, but thinking rationally about it, there's no way a pinched nerve would have a 5 hour delayed reaction. Think it might have been a conditioned response to my forgoing a donut cushion while driving for a few hours - something to work on in the future!

I'm on Day 2 now, and definitely trying my best to be patient. I'm still in pain today, but prepare to stick with this for the long haul. After a lot of thought, I've realized how many instances in my past - particularly as a child - I've had psychosomatic issues, that lasted for months. None that were this painful, but definitely psychologically troubling and that I thought would never end.

On another note, it was really interesting to read in the article for Day 2 about how hot baths and massages could help reduce pain due to increasing oxygen supply to affected areas. The only things which have reduced my pain have been hot baths, a heating pad, and massage (although it's fairly short lived). The reduced oxygen-supply part of Sarno's book was a bit hard for me to believe at first, but it definitely makes sense now.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Dan. I too agree that you are off to a very good start toward healing your TMS repressed emotions. Sarno's theory on oxygen may be hard to believe, but it does make sense to me and many others who are health professionals. That's how deep breathing helps... to send more oxygen to the brain and other parts of the body. It's great that you are so active. The long bike rides will help you both physically and psychologically.