1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

First Back relapse in years not going away

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Chris R, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Chris R

Chris R New Member

Hi all,

I used to have severe low back issues for a decade+ until a doctor turned me on to Sarno, and since, I've only had occasional flare-ups that have never worried me because I knew every time it was TMS. They would go away in a day or two.

However a week ago, my back felt 'locked', the worst it's felt since I discovered TMS over five years ago. I wasn't doing anything strenuous, just woke up that way (and I know how TMS can do that overnight). The pain is better than that day, but a week later my low back is still really bothering me.

I'm still moving around and talking to my unconscious to knock it off, but this is one is a doozy and persistent.

There's a lot of upheaval going on emotionally right now. New relationship, being forced to move, hours on my job drying up, a family trip overseas I'm ambivalent about... so I have no doubt this is TMS. But my strategies of dealing don't seem to be working.

Anyone experience a similar relapse and have advice for recovering?

Thanks!

2. Marla

Marla Peer Supporter

Going through something similar. In the past flare ups wouldn’t be as strong. I think this one hit me because I was holding a lot of my emotional feelings inside.

I have been rereading one of Sarno’s early books on back pain and he talks about holding things inside causing problems.

I was at my daughters visiting and I don’t really like her new boyfriend but knew I had to keep quiet my feelings and then something at home happened bad with my husband and dog and I felt like I could do nothing, then within hours got low back pain and bad sciatica I haven’t had in 18 yrs.

Its getting better but not gone as I keep saying to myself this isn’t physical its my emotional state. I think its lasting for me because I am having a hard time letting worry go but working on it. We live in southern Oregon and smoke is bad from forest fires. Leaving for coast on Wednesday can’t wait!

One of the things that helps me a lot and since your busy might help you is listen to Sarno on audible book doesn’t matter which one but hearing his voice calmly talking about how you are ok, the pain is real but not life threatening.

3. Chris R

Chris R New Member

Thanks Maria, I used to have Sarno's audio book for the Mind Body Prescription, but I've since switched computers and I can't seem to find my file. Good advice to have that handy at all times. :)

4. Marla

Marla Peer Supporter

If you check out Sarno on YouTube there are some free videos and I found a radio talk he gave. Also I have been able to read some of his books both with kindle app on iPad and audio free from library.