1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Fibromyalgia and fear of activity

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Freeange, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Freeange

Freeange Peer Supporter

I have been working the Sarno program for about 4 weeks and have seen considerable decrease to my pain but i have a horrible fear around physical activity (even something as walking for more than 5 minutes) because i am used to all those things triggering pain and in a lot of instances they still do. I know this is programming based on past triggering but I'm having a hard time with physical activity. I am extremely fearful of the pain and it always feels like its just around the corner (it hasn't actually fully gone, maybe 70%). I have had a couple of instances lately where i did some simple gardening and then had horrific pain so I know there is a trigger there.

I am using affirmations before I do activity and am trying to slow increase my activity but the fear is overwhelming sometimes. Not sure how to handle it. Part of my says push through but the last couple of times I have pushed through I ended up in quite a lot of pain.

I welcome any suggestions especially from those who have recovered from fibromyalgia.

thanks

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I started back with exercise after 20 years of fibromyalgia by doing yoga. It hurt while doing it, but did not trigger an avalanche of pain. I think this may be because my mind didn't really see yoga as exercise. However, yoga will strengthen your body and make you more limber leading to more confidence in doing other forms of exercise. It also has many mindbody effects. Maybe start with some gentle restorative yoga and work your way up to more rigorous forms. I can now do aerobic exercise and weight training without problems.

Congratulations on your success so far!

Freeange likes this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

There is a mobile app "Walking Meditation". I have it on Android phone, I am sure there is one for iPhone. See if you use it to walk yourself out of fear. Also, you may want to try writing a letter to your fear. That's what I did in the very beginning and I re-read it from time to time.

4. Freeange

Freeange Peer Supporter

I love both of those suggestions. Thanks!!