1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Felt pretty good and then....

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by tgirl, Nov 20, 2015.

1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

A couple of days ago I think I felt like this is it, I have TMS and I actually was close to symptom free for two days (not totally, but much better). Today I have the fear that all the doctors missed something again- a common thought process of mine, and I feel the tingles, numbness, prickly feelings in my legs again ( not too severe, but there non the less). I don't know if my doctor doubting fear came first today or the symptoms. Ahhhh! Is this normal in any way?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, tgirll. I think it is normal for your symptoms to return when you fear that the doctors may have missed something. What they missed is diagnosing your pain as TMS, emotional and not structural. Try some positive mantras like Dr. Sarno suggests: "My pain is TMS emotional, not structural."

KevinB and tgirl like this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Yes, it's normal. Do the work in the SEP, finish it, and you'll see results. I'm in the midst of a relapse after 5 months of being pain free. It is frustrating, but I'm already beginning to see what my body is trying to communicate to me, and it's forcing me to delve even deeper into what's REALLY going on. For me I'm seeing that I lack self love and self compassion, so I'm trying to be kind to myself and stay in the moment. My mind goes into fear mode frequently, so it is very difficult to address, but even just beginning to recognize the patterns seems to be helping and moving in the right direction.

Stay optimistic. Blessings.

tgirl likes this.
  4. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks for input Walt and Kevin. It means a lot.

KevinB likes this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, tgirl, it is normal. And it is normal for the mind to grab the "less good" experience, and make a big deal out of it. Use this experience to observe the way TMS is working in you. It comes and goes. It gets worse with fear.

tgirl likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

hi everyone. A real good exchange of posts and replies. A relapse of pain... I know what that's like. But I stay positive about any new back or other pain being caused by long-held troubling emotions, and the pain lessens or goes away.

tgirl likes this.
  7. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I appreciate everyone's replies. You are a kind bunch:)

My issue, or at least one of them is that sometimes I have these prickly sensations for a very long time, rather unrelenting and quite unchanging. I will say, it has totally gone away for a couple of years at a time only to return. I swear, once it abates this time I will NOT let it return...I also get chest surging feelings, kind of like adrenaline. I have done the doctor gamut, so no point in continuing that route.

A number of people on this site talk about the symptoms shifting etc. Mine really don't other that moving around my legs. Is this possible with TMS? I guess I would commit to TMS one hundred percent if I was sure my odd symptoms fit the definition. Sorry for all my insecure postings.

8. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Hey tgirl,

All normal. The fact that it moves around your legs is proof of TMS. Think of it like this: you break your right wrist, your right wrist hurts in the area that it breaks until it heals - it's not like you break your wrist and all of the sudden you have issues in your left knee, left wrist, right foot, etc, get it? The structural preoccupation is the most difficult to overcome, but persistence and optimism, coupled with working the program here, will guide you to where you need to go. Have faith in TMS and have faith in yourself.

Blessings.

tgirl likes this.
  9. Andy Bayliss

My foot hurt for years, essentially the same place. Try to ignore all your looking for the perfect fit! Observe this mental activity mindfully, but don't fuel it by believing it or acting on it.

KevinB and tgirl like this.
  10. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Andy, did your foot ever heal?

11. Andy Bayliss

Yes tgirl. I still have occasional stiffness and some pain, but it is 98% gone. What remains is quite mild, and reminds me of how my personality is working in the moment. Mostly it arises around "fear of pain" as I start a hike, then is gone. Or is triggered by the difference between "What I think I should feel" and "What I am actually feeling."

I climbed to my lookout this year with about a 60 lb pack on my back, and no foot pain. Last two years I have skied around Crater Lake which is 35 mile journey, solo with backpack. I have my life back, thanks to Dr. Sarno!!! If I was reading these words of mine 3 years ago, I would not believe them. So yes, educating yourself about TMS, the way you are doing, works.

It takes courage to stick to your program. Don't push yourself too hard. If you don't improve significantly in a couple of months, then I would recommend TMS Coaching or Therapy in order to investigate/improve your relationship with yourself. To me the main obstacle in curing is the habitual way we treat ourselves. That said, each person finds her own way. That is part of the miracle of knowing ourselves better. The SEP and the Recovery Program will get you all you need to tune into you, and dismiss the distraction activity of pain.

Andy B.

tgirl likes this.
  12. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks Andy. It is wonderful that you are back to doing the things you love.