1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 5 Feelings About a Past Trauma

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Willow, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Willow

Willow New Member

Hi All,

Years ago I really fell for a girl though we had not actually dated, I think we were in the pre-amble stage. Being with her made me feel warm secure and comfortable, but the thought of taking the step of actually asking her out filled me with fear, fear of being rejected. When it came to calling her to meet up I would be full of intrepidation but once we had arranged to meet my whole world was alright.

Eventually my habit of skirting around the issue of asking her out probably put her off of me and she gently and politely let me down. When this happened I felt absolutely numb with shock, I was to afraid of my thoughts and feelings to actually face them at the that time. Numbness is horrible torture. I wasn't sleeping and I had lost my appetite which is something that never happens to me. I know now that numbness is akin to depression, it is a pain that resulted from avoiding the fear of facing my true thoughts. Those thoughts were that I am absolutely ugly and unloveable and unwanted by anyone. I am aware of those thoughts now with hindsight and I can face them and do not believe them at all now.

It took me a long time to get over that. It is only in the last couple of weeks since I have learned about TMS that I truly feel that I could cope with seeing her again and even that I would be confident about it and enjoy the meeting. Even 7 years of psychotherapy couldn't get me to that point. The biggest lesson I have learned from TMS is "I can". Fear is no longer my master, I am.

Willow

Ellen, JanAtheCPA and Lavender like this.
  2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Very courageous and beautiful post!

Willow likes this.
  3. Willow

Willow New Member

Thanks for your support TG957.