1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Alex B. Feeling or expressing anger

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Raj s, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi,

When I write down my emotional pains or pressures, I feel like anger might be the reason for this TMS. Do I have to be just aware of that anger, for example if I find out that I am angry on at my father, do I have to just know about it? I can't express that anger towards my father. Do I need to act on it? If I have to just feel it, how do I feel that anger?

Also in daily life I get angry about a lot of things. How do I react to those things?

Thanks in advance

2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Raj, thanks for writing. I've heard your question, and ones very similar to it, many many times. You're not alone! Sometimes it can be frustrating to be told "All you need to do is be aware of the problem and it will go away". Yet here you are, feeling like you have identified the issue, while the pain remains.

There is no doubt that you have taken a very important step in acknowledging that you do indeed have these feelings of anger towards your father. The question now is what you do with those feelings. The problem is that despite taking that step of acknowledging that they are there, these feelings still produce reactions of anxiety and fear; in your mind they they are illicit and unacceptable. It is very hard for you to separate the feeling itself from the action that those feelings inspire, say yelling at your father or someone else who makes you angry. Because you are afraid that you may do this, and of the consequences that would result, you are still cutting yourself off from the actual feeling, even if you do acknowledge that it is there.

The next step is not necessarily to act on or express the feelings but learn to tolerate and experience them. To realize that you can feel and explore feelings of anger and that you don't have to explode. Giving yourself permission to feel the feelings that are truly there is a powerful tool for self-validation, a way to care for and legitimize yourself. Once you are able to simply feel the feeling, it is up to you what you do with it. If you do feel the need to express yourself, then you can do it assertively instead of aggressively. Stand up and advocate for yourself rather than lash out at who many be hurting you.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

Ellen likes this.