1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Feeling hopeful

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by sarah2254, Apr 14, 2020.

1. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

I am convinced I have TMS. When I first came across Dr. Sarno's ideas, I'll be honest, I did not take his theory seriously. However, I have nothing left to try. My pain started 4 years ago when I was wrapping up my last year of university and applying for grad school. I started getting terrible hand pain and eventually lost the ability to type. I started using dictation software and saw a doctor that told me I had "very, very, very mild carpal tunnel." This was confirmed with a nerve conduction test. I was shocked that he was describing the debilitating pain that I was experiencing as "mild." I believed the diagnosis, followed his instructions to wear wrist braces while typing, and slowly, the pain went away. I completed my master's degree, typing long periods of time with wrist braces. If ever I forgot my wrist braces at home before typing, the pain would return almost instantly.

Fast forward to last summer, I graduated and started a new full-time office job. I experienced a second flare-up, despite the fact I was typing with wrist braces. I couldn't understand how I could be experiencing such extreme pain when I followed the doctor's instructions to wear braces, and apparently my carpal tunnel was only "mild." I tried Gabapentin, Naproxen, various OTC medicines, several braces, and nothing worked. I had an X-ray of my neck and hands, blood work, and MRI, all of which came back normal.

Now...the weirdest part of my story is that I had a nerve test for a second time that RULED OUT carpal tunnel. This whole time I was convinced I had it, only to have another doctor tell me I didn't. Now I understand what TMS proponents mean when they say the perception of pain may produce REAL pain. I think my brain has been conditioned to fear typing due to the incorrect belief that I have carpal tunnel.

Traditional medicine has failed me and so I am finally giving TMS a shot. A year ago, I would not have been able to type this paragraph without experiencing spasms in my hands. I would say since reading half of Dr. Sarno's 'Healing Back Pain' that my hand pain has reduced by about 20%. Although this is not a lot, and I still don't feel comfortable returning to full-time work, I am hopeful that my pain will continue to decrease.

If anyone has similar stories/tips for recovery, please feel free to share.

2. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

Oh yes, the pain is real. I was sure I was headed for rheumatoid arthritis, MS, or fibromyalgia. My osteopath kept saying, 'your pain isn't neurological,' but I didn't understand what she meant. Then she suggested I read Divided Mind, and that set me on this path. I've read much more, including It's All in Your Head, which really helped me understand that I didn't (don't) have neurological problems. Thank God! And I'm now 90% pain free. It didn't happen all at once, but just like Dr Sarno says, the knowledge set me free. I just started doing stuff without worry again. I've had flare ups, especially recently, but even they have mostly subsided and I'm feeling good again. I'm back to strength training and yoga, I can walk wherever I want, and lift things, etc. For me, along with the knowledge I used journalling and staying in my spiritual practices. I'm still doing all this, although I'm not dipping into the TMS books as much. I've uncovered the codependent part of my emotional struggles, and my reading is more in that area at the moment, but I know exactly where to find the TMS books when I want to read again.

AnonymousNick and sarah2254 like this.
  3. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for your reply. That definitely gives me a lot of hope. If you don't mind me asking, did you also experience excruciating pain when typing? If so, how long did it take you to be able to return to typing without pain? I know every individual is different, but I find hearing these stories to be super inspiring!

4. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Inconsistency is huge when identifying TMS. If your wrists were physically damaged, your never test results would be more consistent, as would your pain. Even a 20% reduction in pain is proof of the mental cause to your pain. Books generally don't make structural pain feel better, but they can make TMS pain feel better. Something that helped me was making a list of any such successes to review from time to time. Anytime you have doubts, make sure to review that list to remind yourself of how this treatment helps. Good luck!

sarah2254 likes this.