1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Fear of Success Has it's Own Set of Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Here's a nice quote from a sports psychology book called "LOCKER ROOM POWER" by the recent Wimbledon Champion Andy Murray's coach David Sammel:

"The reason why people are afraid are as numerous as are the types of fear: fear of failure, of success, of parents or peers, organizations, coaches and opponents. In my experience the fear of success is far greater then the fear of failure, because it involves venturing into unknown territory--stepping out of the comfort zone. Competing at a level up from where you are is unnerving until you acclimatize and get used to your new status. It helps if you can actually identify and write down what your personal fears are, which have less power once you see them written down on paper..."

JanAtheCPA and mike2014 like this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for sharing TT. A great quote.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I am a writer and used to tell my mother that I just love to write and don't want to become rich or famous.
    She said I would become both.
    But it hasn't happened and I am content. I write books to help people and entertain them, and that is good enough for me.
    See them at Createspace eStore.

But don't fear success. You can handle it your own way... in the limelight or out of it.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Some more from David Sammel pg.35:

"Often when players are afraid they are in fact not putting enough pressure on themselves to perform and choose the easier route of just succumbing to the fear."

"Just as the mind can create fear, understand that it can equally create bravery. Bravery is not the absence of fear but a way of thinking that creates enough courage to inspire a different outcome."

Simplicity likes this.
  5. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I do like the second quote alot.

Simplicity likes this.