1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Fear of Shoulder blade pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by fredb, Jul 24, 2019.

1. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thanks for that Plum.
    Take care.
    X Fred.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@plum, I thought about PMing you, but others might want to know this as well, because editing our Profiles should be easy and transparent, but it's not! Each time I want to edit mine, I have to dink around until I figure it out. AGAIN.

On a phone or PC, single-click/touch your username in the dark blue menu bar (right side), and from the drop-down menu, do NOT click on "Your Profile Page"! Instead, click on "Personal Details" and scroll down until you get to the section for "My Story", which is in an editable box. You'll know you're in the right place because the first entry point is where you can enter a "Status Message".

plum likes this.
  3. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Hi Jan. I have just read your post to Plum and by the way thank you for all your advice. I know this sounds idiotic, but I have never known how to PM somebody.
    How do you do that if you don't have an email address? Just interested to learn more about sites like this one.
    Thanks
    Fred.

4. JanAtheCPA

Private Message refers to the ability to contact another forum member using a proprietary internal messaging service, which is designed to keep actual contact information hidden. This is exists on all member forums, even the humongous ones such as Facebook, et al.

On our forum, you click on a user's avatar/name, and in the popup window choose "start a private conversation".
    If someone responds to your message, you'll get a red flag in your menu bar, and an email if you're set up for email alerts.

I can't avoid noticing how often you put yourself down like this... I wonder if a program of self acceptance and self-compassion should be at the top of your list to work on.

I've often said that in order to succeed at this work, we really have to love ourselves enough that we know, in our hearts, that we deserve to recover.

~Jan

fredb likes this.
  5. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

6. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thanks for that information Jan. It might be something I may do in future now I know how to. You live and learn. You are so right about my attitude at the moment. I never used to be that way. As s younger man I thought I was invincible. For some unknown reason this upper back pain seems to have got to me and my whole attitude and mood has become negative, to say the least. I am on antidepressants, which I hate, but I know I can't just cut them out without falling foul of Nasty withdrawal symptoms. Sometimes it is difficult for me to decide which way to turn, but I guess that is just my heightened nervous system playing up.
    I will however start the SEP as you suggest and may get involved in more physical activity, as oddly enough, when I am active and using my muscles, the pain fades to just s feeling of "tightness or pressure". That one is difficult to understand, as I guess I should get more pain with activity?
    Anyway Jan thank you for the information and advice. I do appreciate it and I am so glad I found this site with so many success stories and people with s wealth of TMS knowledge.
    Best wishes
    Fred.

7. JanAtheCPA

No!! This is your proof that it's TMS and not an actual physiological issue. Physical activity provides a replacement distraction for that period of time, so the pain distraction can ease up. Social activity usually does the same. And both of those are healthy replacements, so go out and do them!

plum likes this.
  8. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thank you Jan for that useful insight. I thought it might be that activity caused more blood flow and thus more oxygen, but I can understand now how activity could be a substitute distraction rather than a physical antidote!
    This is now starting to make sense. I have also noticed I get this upper back tightness when I'm in a hurry to do something or rushing rather that taking things steady. I guess this putting my mind and therefore my body under stress, resulting in muscle tension?
    Thanks again Jan for your good guidance.
    Fred