1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. Fear of flare ups

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Guest, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Have been reading and studying tms material for some 20 years have low back flare up at the moment. Have fissures and mild bulges at l4 and l5 not herniated. Diagnosed in past with Illiolumbar ligament strain. Have had mid back trouble as well. I have always been anxious, depressed and over reactive and very active. Tend to hurt myself but then will not heal. 20 years ago I was Down and out for years and dr sarnos book healing back pain helped more than anything and got me back to working out again. I have extreme trouble with the fear of being disabled to point of being shaky. Flare ups come and go but have bad one now fear I can't make or back up. Don't know what I'm even asking just reaching out my name is jay. Thanks for any feed back.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Jay.

Sounds like you could use a little hope and encouragement right about now.

TMS recovery is different for everybody. Some people are able to read a Sarno book, get rid of their symptoms and never look back. Most have a longer and more bumpy story of recovery. Getting symptom relief is often a matter of finding the right amount of confidence and keeping a healthy perspective.

Also, understanding the relationship between your anxiety, depression, and pain is an important part of long term success. If you learn to tend to your anxiety more effectively with the knowledge that it is the fuel for your pain symptoms, then your symptoms will decrease.

Use whatever resources possible including the wiki, books, or a therapist who understands these concepts. It's your health and happiness and nothing is more important.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.