1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Fear of emotions preventing me from recognition

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by vvill, Jul 2, 2017.

1. vvill

vvill New Member

Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain? If you have, how do these emotions make you feel? If not, what do you think is preventing you from doing this?

I think I am having some success in recognizing the emotions that I am repressing or not feeling in their fullness, I can feel them laying there underneath, I can sense them but don't think I am experiencing them fully at the moment, I have at points when speaking to my sister and expressed it properly. I think my mind is preventing me from recognizing the emotions fully as it comes in with all its assumptions, labels and judgements about the emotion and I think it all gets knotted up and hard to understand, I think my thoughts related to it are restricting my recognition of the emotions, as soon as I feel something thoughts will race in “this is anger, because of this this and this” “this is sadness, I should do this and that” the thoughts are so quick and take my attention away from the emotion which I think is hindering my recognition of the emotions. I also feel scared of my emotions which encourages me to run away/look away at the thoughts or distract my attention away from it, the fear of my emotional pain makes me move away and is preventing me from recognizing the emotions.

2. Cat Lady 13

Cat Lady 13 New Member

That is a very good start and I have had the same issues. How to recognize the emotions you are feeling and how they affect your body. I have started reading a book called Wise Mind Living by Erin Olivo and it is very helpful in understanding what an emotion is, how it affects you and how you can change your reaction to the emotion.

Celayne likes this.