1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

fear of dogs!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mncjl123, Jun 14, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

this morning, working on my tms therapy, I went outside and i was sitting on a lovely bench enjoying the pond and ducks.

All of sudden, two unleashed dogs came running towards me. now mind you, I am already in fear as I see these dogs coming towards me, now they are running. I am screaming at the dogs and the unaware owner (who thinks everyone loves his dogs!) I keep screaming in fear "go away, go away!". I am now in a fetal position on the bench trying to protect myself from injury, hurt, bites licking or whatever may occur! The fear in me is now like a 5 year old child!

I am now thinking of my tms and how we are suppose to feel our feelings after the incident. Good job! Right? now, what do I do with this fear? is this something I need to overcome? is tms going to make me hurt because of this experience today? by screaming and feeling the feeling of fear was I successful? any thoughts?

2. Ines

Ines Well known member

I think you are supposed to be aware that you are having this emotion and instead of repressing just feel this emotion. One poster said when they would feel their emotions they would feel sick or some would punch pillows. If you are scared or afraid or angry at the person for letting their dogs off the leash then just feel it. Maybe journal about? Maybe do some breathing exercises? The most important this is to not repress it and to be aware that you have this emotion and tell your brain that it will not cause you physical pain.
    Anyway, I'm not expert. I'm still pretty new at this. I'd be interested to hear other comments too.

Ellen likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, mncjl. I can well appreciate you were fearful when those unleashed dogs came toward you. If they weren't snarling, they may not have been menacing, but your "fight or flight" instinct told you to protect yourself.

I used to be afraid of dogs, until I owned one. Then I became a lifelong dog owner and dog lover. I hope you won't let the incident make you afraid of all dogs. The owner should not have let his dogs off their leashes.

Try not to let fear of dogs or anything become a conditioned reflex.