1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Fear is most powerful weapon of TMS, isn‘t it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by SebastianM, Mar 17, 2018.

1. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,
    long time ago I was nearly every here in this forum. Since 8 months I am more or less symptomfree.
    My shoulder pain and acid reflux are on a normal level. I go to gym as I did before TMS and Drink as much coffee and alcohol as I want. It‘s like a wonder! I am very thankful and proud of it.

Now I come to a BUT..
    Symptom imperative found a new symptome to Focus on..
    My throught. At the Moment I have third time in 8 months an angina in my throught. Symptoms: dry throught, dry sinusses, fatigue. Since 7 months I finished my studies and have a great Job. It‘s big change for me and I am accustoming myself at the moment. I am often very busy and brood over several situations.

Than, symptoms knock on the door and I get fearful thoughts: „oh damn I can not be ill, I am responsible for my job....“

The fear and these thoughts Produce more tension and I am not able to relax. Vicious cyrcle...

I realise whats going on here but fear is dominant these days and it exhaustes me, makes my live harder than it is.

Outcome independance was my strongest weapon against TMS but staying at home because of illness is more powerful fear than being outcome independant.

I know, I will overcome this period... nevertheless I kindly ask you for advices or stories of your lifes similar to mine. Which methods or thoughts were helpful for you?

Kindest Greetings
    Sebastian

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sebastian,

I'm happy that you have had such good success, and understand the power of "outcome independence."

Regarding your request for stories or help, I submit this:

Once a couple of years ago I was hiking up my mountain and my left foot hurt in the "same old place" of my debilitating foot pain (With the TMS I had not hike for 4 years, and had then recovered about 2 years). I could feel the pain, the fear of pain, and also the fear of failure about my overcoming my pain. I had had little pain in several years.

In that moment what helped me was this basic insight: "Of course I have TMS foot pain. I am prone to TMS. What else would I expect?" In other words, the pain became acceptable, and expected, rather than dangerous or a failure, or indeed anything at all to be worried about.

As I hiked, I repeated this phrase to myself: "Of course I am in pain; I am prone to TMS; this is normal for me." And the pain quickly disappeared. So in this way I found a personal way of practicing "outcome independence" which worked for me.

So I offer you this model for yourself, with whatever symptoms come up, to adapt and use as your own.

Andy B

HattieNC, Durga, readytoheal and 2 others like this.
  3. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

Hi Andy,

thank‘s for sharing your method. I can imagine what thoughts you had during hiking... did you have live-threatening thoughts?
    I think these fearful thoughts and feelings like fighting/not accepting symptoms are very exhausting.

In Germany, we have wave of influenza at the moment. Everybody is ill. I still ask myself if am still ill, too. I was ill 3 weeks ago and the symptoms remain more or less.. thats why I am struggeling these days. That means I begin to be unsure if it is TMS. When I am at home, everything is fine. Symptoms arise when I think about duties and my work. While writing this I realize the pattern...:p

Greetings
    Sebastian

4. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

the most difficult of all ... acceptance!
    you're not perfect and you'll never be ... you agree to be a human and sometimes to have weaknesses ... so that weaknesses are a strength. There is no perfection so useless that you put pressure on yourself ... think about this: you can get sick ... and while you're sick you can even work! one thing does not exclude the other .. if you like work ... do your job. Take care of you, enjoy yourself and work ... do not worry anymore! Life is beautiful.