1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

FATIGUE?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lala, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Lala

Lala Well known member

Fatigue is a part of TMS right? I just feel so tired all the time. I got a great night's sleep last night and I'm still so sleepy. I think I need to really recommit myself to a more intense exercise program. I used to be such a great athlete (mt. biking, road biking, hiking, cross country skiing). Now with working full time, a young child, commuting and just keeping up with day to day stuff I find myself exercising so little. I'm so unmotivated. Perhaps if I pushed myself to exercise more than I would have more energy? How do I find the time? How do I motivate?

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I think fatigue can definetely be TMS, and I believe Sarno mentions it in the Mindbody Prescription as well. It is pretty common to have new symptoms pop up especially during the beginning. It is simply your mind trying to find a new way to distract you. Having fatigue can be a difficult time, but I think if you remind yourself what is going on, it should fade away at some point.

3. Lala

Lala Well known member

THanks Forest, just having a rough week...there are some really good moments in there...but this whole process in and of itself is exhausting....combine it with working full time and raising and young child and I just feel depleted. Staying positive and present takes work and to be honest sometimes I don't want to have to work at anything...I just want to be again...to be without pain, to be without emotional angst, to feel whole. I know I will get there...but the road is long. Got the book...thanks sooo much!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Lala, the fatigue may be part of being impatient and wanting the pain to end NOW. I pushed myself this morning and walked longer with my dog, and again this afternoon raking leaves, mowing the lawn. The pain was there but I put up with it and reminded my subconscious I was dealing with my anger and trying to forgive. Now I have a nervous stomach. Thanks, subconscious.

Sienna likes this.
  5. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Lala, I remember how exhausted I was when my youngest was two and I was working. Sometimes I just wanted it all to go away. I love doing this TMS stuff and it is helping, but it also is taking quite a bit of time, which I have more of now than when my kids were young. Maybe it isn't that surprising that you feel fatigued when you have so much on your plate, and they aren't things you can just stop doing. For me at least one of my biggest TMS traits is getting overwhelmed and stressed when I have too much I need to attend to.

For me when I had a lot of demand on me the thing that helped most was Byron Katie's 'Loving What Is.' It didn't change the load, but at least I cut out a lot of the stressful thinking. Of course, what you probably don't need now is one more thing to do! :)

6. Lala

Lala Well known member

I think you are right Walt. Steven Ozanich is always reminging me to be more patient, get on with what brings me joy in my life and stop worrying about "healing."

7. Lala

Lala Well known member

I hear you Terry. I am working on balance in my life right now...when I first started on this forum I think I saw TMS healing as another project and I got very obsessive about it. Now I'm more relaxed. I try to do something everyday related to my healing (journaling, affirmations, meditation, exercising, responding to or posting on the forum, reading my books)...but now I don't try to do all those things in one day...some days, when I have time away from my family, I do, but other days I just try to do at least one thing on that this..so I stay connected to my inner processing and emotional world. Now I am really trying to integrate joy into my life...that soothing balance that Sarno talks about....more music, more time with friends and then when I'm busy with family and work, I try to be present and seek out the joy in those moments, instead of focusing on the pressure/stress of those moments. I am realizing that I make a choice in what I let in (relaxation versus stress, joy versus anger etc.)...not to say that I'm avoiding my emotions, but more that I am aware of them, accept and let the negative ones go, and then chose to focus on the positive.

8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Part of the TMS personality is obsseiveness and this can totally come out in how we go about recovering from it. Focusing on doing everything exactly right, i.e. having the perfect journaling exercise, saying the perfect affirmations, and meditating every day, can become another way TMS distracts you. Think psychologically includes identifying when our TMS personality begins to take over like this, and changing our mindset.

This is the key that we all need to be aiming for. Bringing joy back into our lives will have a huge impact on our recovery.

9. Lala

Lala Well known member

Thanks Forest, Yesterday I took a great ZUMBA class at my gym...when we started dancing I started crying b/c it felt so good to move and dance (something I've always loved to do) and to feel good in my own body. Just need to keep doing more of this stuff. I have a 10 minute yoga dvd that I started doing every morning...a great way to start my day (which starts at 510am)...gets my body moving in a positive way, makes me feel strong and connected to myself...I just have to keep moving forward. I don't remember my TMS healing 10 years ago to be so challenging. It feels way more and down now...but i think the emotional issues that got me here are much deeper this time.