1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Family members & friends who just dont get it

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by DianeRadvanski, Aug 20, 2016.

1. DianeRadvanski

DianeRadvanski New Member

Hello all.

Just a quick question regarding suggestions/advice to family and friends who are difficult and quick to judge when explaining TMS to them.

Even to supervisors and colleagues. Esp for those who say they don't have time to read articles or who do not want to waste their time going online (and yes, I have been told this).

Thanks so much!

Diane

2. kld03c

kld03c Peer Supporter

Great question. I've shared my journey with close friends and family members and selectively with co-workers and other open minded people by sharing that I'm working with a doctor in SoCal with a new treatment approach on back pain that involves the mind body connection. It can still be a taboo topic and therefore I don't share with people unless I think they will benefit from the information. Otherwise it's not anyone's business. You don't need naysayers impacting your confidence rather you want to surround yourself with people who support your healing.

3. DianeRadvanski

Makes sense. Thank you very much!!

kld03c likes this.
  4. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

Trying to enlighten/convince them is a losing battle. Most are certain they're suffering from something structural that needs to be "fixed." Until the medical model is changed, I'm afraid that's the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future. As I mentioned here before, the selfsame two people who introduced me to Dr. Sarno's work insist that, in their case, it's "the real thing," not TMS.

plum likes this.
  5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I tell those who are interested that I have neuralgia and that it gets triggered and made worse by stress. It's not a million miles from the truth and it gave me the get out of jail card I sometimes needed to play when pain flared. Pretty much everyone will accept that explanation, and for people with more about them you can take the explanation a bit more down the road of how emotions mediate the running of the nervous system. I find deferring to neuroscience to be the most effective means of communicating anything to do with tms and psychosomatic disorders.

DianeRadvanski likes this.
  6. DianeRadvanski

I like that approach alot !!! Thank u!