1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

facing TMS again...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by futuredancer, Aug 3, 2016.

1. futuredancer

futuredancer Peer Supporter

I was introduced to the TMS concept when I had my first onset of back/hip pain in 2011. I was goint to take a yoga teacher training abroad (at that time, it was a possible way out of my professional status, with which I was unhappy) and 2 months before I had pain on my left big toe that I couldn't find the cause. On my plane trip to the course, I started feeling pain on my right hip, that moved to the left hip during the the training. On day 10, my left hip collapsed. I had an excruciating spasm in bed after class and my left glute literally fell. I had to grab it to walk properly. The rest of the month (since i was still abroad, waiting to come back home) was nightmarish, incredibly painful. When I returned, I went to see a doctor and got an EMG and MRI. And guess what, herniated disc L5-S1, bulging disc L4-L5 and tendinitis on minor and medium glutes and IT band syndrome. When I saw the hearniated disc diagnostics, my pain increased 10-fold. It went on for about 6 months, when I learned about TMS. I didn't quite follow the whole process of working with it but eventually my back/hip slowly got better. In 2013, I had a second bout . This one lasted for almost a year, though its intensity was less severe, yet still incapacitating. I eventually recuperated while doing craniosacral therapy. At the back of my head I knew it had an emotional component again but I always had the belief it also had a physical part in it. But time passed and I got back to physical activity, and more intense than ever. I started doing pole dance, aerial silks and artistic gymnastics, things that really nurtured my inner child, since I was always the wimpy kid, not athletic and really bad at physical education, but who dreamed of being able to do all the flips and acrobatic moves. I went on for about 3,5 year without any incidents. I was not as skilled as my companions (nor as young, I am 39 now), but I was incredibly strong in my arms and had my good moments. I still felt unbalanced in my walk, since I believe my left glutes were "deactivated" after the incident in 2011, and started seeing a PT to do exercises for correction. He recommended, apart from doing his exercises, that i did weight training as well. After a month, in the last day before renewing my routine, in the last series of kettlebell deadlifts, I felt a sharp pain on my left glute. I thought it was sth just minor and went to gymnastics the next day. At the end of my training, started feeling lumbar pain. The next day, I was in really bad pain. Went to the acupuncturist for 2 weeks and felt a bit better. During this process, I remembered my TMS readings and reread Healing Back Pain. I stopped going to the acupuncturist and yesterday went to gymnastics again. During stretching i could feel a bit of restriction but nth really bad. A bit before the end of the class, before they would start front flips, I decided I wasn't going to do them, cause it would be too much impact. We were doing bar exercises and as soon as I decided it was my time to stop, my lower back started hurting. Nothing crazy so I went back home ok. This morning I was still a bit sore, but I was debating whether or not I would go to my silks classes after 3 weeks off. Then I went to the bathroom and as I reached for sth on the counter, an acute pain on my left hip put me down. It is been the roughest day since it started 3 weeks ago, and I am really trying to think psychologically, but the increase in pain drives me the other way. The backdrop of all this is that I am going through financial concerns, aggravated by being the only spouse working, aging parents, one of them with a still undiagnosed health problem, and the same professional crisis I don't seem to have overcome since 2011. I really want to believe it is TMS and I try to convince myself that the increase in pain is my mind fighting back to keep its strategy going. But it is not that easy.
    I guess I needed to recap all my story to see the whole picture, which I share with you. If you have any views and comments, they will certainly be appreciated.

2. futuredancer

futuredancer Peer Supporter

I couldn't resit a quick update. 10 minutes ago I had a burst of rage at sth stupid a colleague had done at work and was getting it off my chest with another colleague, with "unpolite" language . After that, I realized my pain level went from 8 to 3. TMS let her guard down.

Ines likes this.