1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Facing the Fear of TMS - Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Pingman, Jan 14, 2014.

1. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

Good stuff Pingman. Stay away from Dr. Google! The other thing I have noticed (I have not taken anything for pain the last five days including an Advil). When the pain or discomfort come, acknowledge it with peace and that it is TMS related, and then just move on to what you are doing. This gets easier with time. You have to remember that what you have will not kill you and not give it any more attention or fear it. Just accept it is there for now and move on. Play with your beautiful kid.

2. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

What a wonderful thread! This is all exactly what I needed to read this morning. I am indebted to you for the image of Dr. Checker! I've been dealing with the symptom imperative cycle for the last week or so and I realized that I'm slipping into old behavior - almost like I've forgotten everything I know about TMS recovery… with the pain sending me into anxiety and "Now What??" language. I've been doing some writing to get to root causes but I think this may be just the subconscious mind working stuff out… the things that I can't feel right now. Anyway - thanks for this thread… I'm going to go have a morning now, NOT thinking about pain or TMS!!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That's it, nowtimecoach. Don't think about the pain. Go into your day and think happy thoughts.

nowtimecoach likes this.
  4. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Had a pretty good weekend after a rough Friday night. My sinuses were acting up with high pressure which made me second guess my eyes and such. Saturday and Sunday were much better. I had limited vision issues and tension. I was off work yesterday due to my sons school being off. We went out for the day and I had a pretty good day. I did get anxiety once while we were out when the sun was getting to my eyes.

I am still anxious but have been journaling, trying some yoga poses and starting to meditate. I have also been talking to Mr. Checker and Mr. Anxious parts of myself but they have yet to talk back.

I am getting menatally stronger in terms of knowing that I have tension and most likely some vision issues from the tension. My eyes are sensative to light but with 3 eye visits I know my eyes are not the issue. I keep telling myself that. I am still somewhat in the fear cycle, afraid that my eyes will be sensative to light forever and my temple tension won't go away. I just keep trying to be positive in telling myself that structurally I have no issues so its mental and will go away. There are periods now of no pain or very mild pain and with that I am gaining confidence.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  5. russd1818

russd1818 New Member

The more i read this forum, the more I realise how TMS works. I love that you speak to Mr Checker that you appreciate what he did, but have taken back control - so glad you are making good progress. I think many of my symptoms have started because of my Mr Checker, which seems to act like a fact finder for my TMS.

6. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Russ - Mr. Checker is a real pain....he is the cause and continuation of my TMS for sure. He along with Mr. Problem Solver. The part of me that is analytical and a problem solver tries to find a reason for my pain which usually lands me on Dr. Google. Then I read horrible things and that sinks into my subconscious until a related pain pops up. Then the fear cycle sets in and Mr. Checker starts to work... looking all day to see if the issue is there, getting worse.

The question is, why the hell is Mr. Checker working so hard? My wife is convinced that I am having the issues I am so I can feel sorry for myself and get sympathy from others. That would tie into the fact that I was not really soothed as a child by my parents when I had issues or sickness.I simply have no basis for dealing with sickness, my strength as a child was more focused on being strong from abandonment.

Its all so confusing trying to find out what to work on. Some days I wonder if I am spending too much time working on my TMS in that I am continuing the stress vs. just accepting it and moving on.

7. staceyj127

staceyj127 New Member

I know this post is a few years old, but i'm new here, having a really rough day and your words were so comforting to me. Fear and anxiety and pain definitely jumped in the front seat (as you so spot on put it) then it started a cycle of negativity, frustration and dis belief that I will get better. Today I am questioning if theres not something else going on, and I know that it is a recipe for failure. It's so funny how you can be on a (very very slow) but steady upward spiral and then one day it all feels like it's gone to Sh&t. Anyway, I just wanted to thank you again, your post resonated with me and I really needed that today :)

Allund and Anne Walker like this.