1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Facebook is not good for me

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cat Lady 13, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Cat Lady 13

Cat Lady 13 New Member

My daughter in law deactivated her Facebook page awhile ago because she wanted to be more private with her life and spend more time focusing on her life with my son. Makes sense to me and I started realizing how much time I wasted reading about other people's lives and how it made me feel.

As insecure as I am, seeing what everyone else is doing on "FakeBook" is not good for me. When my cousin is posting pics from her fun vacation in some other country with her family it just makes me upset and sad that I can't do that. She has more money and a husband who isn't disabled.

I had already stopped following almost every one except family members. Maybe I just need to deactivate it altogether. Living in the moment and being mindful is hard to do when you see all this stuff other people are doing and you are not doing.

jaumeb likes this.
  2. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

I've really restricted my FakeBook (love that, by the way) viewing because of the gigantic time waste. It was helpful for a period when I was in so much pain and not knowing what to do. Click the day away... but I got tired of the bragging posts and the complaining posts and the passive/aggressive posts. All of it.

I'm glad for FB because it's helped me reconnect with two of my earliest friends, with high school friends, and to easily stay in touch with family. You really have to take control of it so you only see what you want to see.

I volunteered in animal rescue for several years so had a lot of contacts from that. Not friends. Some of the posts are so depressing and anxiety producing. I've unfollowed so many of those and I'm glad not to know about what is going on in that area.

--Cricket

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I had been spending some time on Facebook and decided it is just an ego trip for a lot of people posting about themselves. I still occasionally take a look, but feel that I am spending my time better by not going there. That time can be spent better in journaling about repressed emotions.

4. DontStopBelieving

DontStopBelieving Peer Supporter

CatLady13, I noticed how angry Facebook makes me just because everyone seems to have time and money for holidays, events and similar. And are so "happy". I tried reducing my time spent on it and that helped a lot, but some days I just can't help it. It is an ego trip as Walt wrote. Do you use Twitter? That does the completely opposite thing for me because I follow a lot of writers and publishers, and that inspires me.

5. Cat Lady 13

Cat Lady 13 New Member

Agree with you Walt. I am the oldest person on my team and I got tired of seeing all the posts about my coworkers babies. I am waaaay past that point in my life and I don't care about poopy diapers and first steps. Sorry but I just don't care. I also know the real truth behind the facade for some people.

It also doesn't help my own insecurities and jealousy so I think it's better to avoid it. At least until I can handle my emotions better. As I am typing this I just got a shooting zap in my sciatica area.

6. DontStopBelieving

DontStopBelieving Peer Supporter

CatLady13, if you experienced pain while writing this, you should leave everything and journal about it, talk to your inner child, there must be a reason why your body doesn't want you to confront this and find the reason why you react like that to it. It happened to me during the Saturday drop-in chat and thanks to the moderator I realised how important it is to deal with the emotion when it is happening, not go to sleep with it still there.