1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Eye strain - Tension headache

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BagelSchnitzel, Apr 24, 2023.

1. BagelSchnitzel

BagelSchnitzel Peer Supporter

Hi Guys,

I'm not new to TMS and have recovered successfully from:

- Eye Strain
    - Gerd
    - Achilles Tendonitis
    - Back Pain
    - Testicular pain
    - Mole pain

I have been going through a pretty stressful time recently and my latest frustrating symptom appears to be eyestrain which seems to link directly with tension in my temples.

The symptom seems worst when on a computer or driving.

It goes away when I'm eating (pretty big sign) and in the bath or distracted by something.

Part of me is paranoid its a brain tumor, I had a close friend die of a brain tumor years back and I've always had a fear that I would get it. Would a brain tumor pain be constant or can it come and go?

With my symptoms getting better in certain scenarios and worse in others and my history of TMS and the fact that I've also got a tight chest at the moment, another symptom I regularly get when I've going through a stressful period. I'm sure its TMS, I guess I just needed to vent and get some other input. I should probably go to the doctor, I may arrange a remote GP appointment through and app I have at work just to check they don't think its anything else.

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Eye strain can definitely be mind-body related! In fact, it’s an incredibly common symptom of TMS. It sounds like you’ve beat it once before, and there may be a reason it’s coming back now…
    Brain tumors are extremely rare. Per John’s Hopkins, only .03% of the population is diagnosed with this condition. What you are feeling is fear. I’m so sorry about your friend. It is not abnormal to be traumatized by the loss of a loved one and deeply fear the disease or situation that took them away. That right there can cause TMS and it is completely valid.

Your shifting symptoms are also very common in the world of TMS, as you already know based on your past successes. It sounds like your sympathetic nervous system may be in overdrive, AKA TMS. Your history of varying symptoms aligns with this.

Is there a good provider you can trust to confirm that you are in the clear? I highly suspect you’re dealing with mind-body symptoms based on everything you’ve written here, but I of course am not medical professional, and it’s important to rule everything out - especially for your own peace of mind!

Please let us know how you’re doing and what questions you have for us!

BagelSchnitzel and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. BagelSchnitzel

BagelSchnitzel Peer Supporter

Thanks for the reply, you're 100% right, I've had a better day today, symptoms have been minimal and have moved elsewhere which has provided some peace as it has re-enforced the fact that its got to be another bout of TMS.

Sometimes I guess you need others who've been through similar to talk to, its hard to describe this to most people who aren't familiar with TMS as its a tricky concept.

Hope you're all having a good day !

Dorado and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I’m glad you’re feeling better! It’s definitely difficult to discuss with those not familiar with TMS. I know that feeling all too well myself. You’re always welcome to discuss anything with us on here!

BagelSchnitzel likes this.