1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Eye floaters

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mncjl123, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I have thyroid disease. Very early on, the doctor tried treating it similarly to TMS (I went to a wholistic Doctor) - it progressed ( and is not TMS, we figured out) and created visual disturbances because of pressure behind the eyes. Increased floaters are very common in people with certain thyroid problems and are almost always harmless. At first I saw them constantly, but similarly with a TMS approach, the more you feel ambivalent to their presence the less you see them, just like the lower pain you feel by not focusing on your TMS symptoms. It takes conscious practice at first, mental reminders to refocus your attention. Now I have to consciously focus on the floaters to see them! There are lots in one eye, but I have no fear. Lots of people develop floaters for no reason, they are normal.

BloodMoon likes this.
  2. Mycatkaz

Mycatkaz New Member

Thank you so much. Thats really helpful and given me a great deal of positivity.

BloodMoon likes this.
  3. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

I am 56 and just got my first batch of floaters. Steve Ozancich says in his book that floaters are TMS so that immediately put my mind at rest! I tell myself they are ok, I am moving in a positive direction and all is well and they seem to diminish!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

That's when they happen. In fact, I have only just now started eating before baseball games (and haven't had them in my last couple).... The most common time for me to get them is right after I wake up from an afternoon nap, but once again, didn't eat enough (so far) during the day....and make up for that lack of food by drinking a couple of cups of coffee (LOL)

5. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Apparently, the caffeine in the coffee, most likely in combination with the need to sleep (as I assume you're otherwise usually generally okay with caffeine) could also be a factor...as this webpage https://www.self.com/story/ocular-migraine-facts (Ocular Migraines Shouldn’t Exist, But They Do, So Here’s What to Know) about ocular migraines says:
    "What experts do know is that the same triggers that cause regular migraines can prompt ocular migraines as well, Ahmara Ross, M.D., Ph.D., an assistant professor of ophthalmology at the University of Pennsylvania Scheie Eye Institute, tells SELF. That includes factors like stress, caffeine, sleep deprivation, hormonal changes, and certain foods such as aged cheeses, according to the Mayo Clinic."

I'm still working out what my triggers are as, other than my eyes being misaligned, I think there's more than just that that triggers them off. Thankfully, you've worked out your triggers and I guess it'll be generally healthier/better for you to keep your blood sugar levels as even as possible anyway. Hope you don't get any more of them.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Baseball65 likes this.