1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Extreme TMS Cases

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mrti10, Oct 18, 2015.

1. mrti10

mrti10 New Member

Has anyone ever heard of a case of TMS being so debilitating that it could cause what is known as PLS? It stands for Primary Lateral Sclerosis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_lateral_sclerosis

I was not familiar with this at all, but I was looking it up for a friend whose mother has become paralyzed due to it. I am obviously no doctor, or even an expert in TMS, but from what I've read about it there seems to be some similarities between the classification and diagnosis of the disease, and that of others so called disorders that are known to those in the know as TMS. An example would be Thoracic Outlet Syndrome that Dr. Sarno talks about in his books as being a conventional medical term for a TMS manifestation. As PLS involves nerves and nerve signal impairment in the muscles I just wonder if it could possibly be a really extreme manifestation of TMS.
    So, just wondering if anyone has heard of a similar case?

Thanks,

mrti10

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi mrti - it sounds like you might be interested in one of my favorite books, When The Body Says No, by Dr. Gabor Mate, MD. He also has a web site with a link to his TedX talk. His theories go way beyond TMS. And frankly, when I use the term "TMS" anymore, I'm really referring to a much wider spectrum of mind-body disorders that was only hinted at by Dr. Sarno.

When The Body Says No gets 5 stars on Amazon, and I can't describe it any better than the description there:
    • Explores the role of the mind-body link in conditions and diseases such as arthritis, cancer, diabetes, heart disease, IBS, and multiple sclerosis
    • Draws on medical research and the author's clinical experience as a family physician
    • Includes The Seven A's of Healing-principles of healing and the prevention of illness from hidden stress
    Shares dozens of enlightening case studies and stories, including those of people such as Lou Gehrig (ALS), Betty Ford (breast cancer), Ronald Reagan (Alzheimer's), Gilda Radner (ovarian cancer), and Lance Armstrong (testicular cancer)

An international bestseller translated into fifteen languages, When the Body Says No promotes learning and healing, providing transformative insights into how disease can be the body's way of saying no to what the mind cannot or will not acknowledge.

Simplicity likes this.
  3. mrti10

mrti10 New Member

Thanks Jan,

I just watched his Ted Talk and purchased the audiobook. Amazing stuff! This guy is brilliant. Thank you very much for sharing this. I am going to finish listening to it and pass it along to my friend.

mrti10

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, mrti10. Jan is right, recommending Dr. Mate's book. He also has some videos on Youtube you might like to see.

5. mrti10

mrti10 New Member

Thanks Walt. i've checked out a few already. Good stuff.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Yoputube keeps amazing me. It has so many videos that are helpful with techniques for what we call TMS.