1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Extinction Burst?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Larkspur, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Larkspur

Larkspur Peer Supporter

I'm hoping that I'm having extinction bursts and that it's a sign of progress! Any positive feedback would be appreciated to give my brain that little bit of extra assurance!

So all my symptoms seem to be on the move. The last two migraines I've had I've been able to keep at bay using progressive muscle relaxation. My eye twitch and my heart palpitations haven't been seen in weeks or more. But just in the last week, an old shoulder pain that I had years and years ago made a comeback out of the blue. I told my brain that I knew what it was doing, and this morning when I woke up it was gone! And yesterday rather than an eye twitch, my finger started twitching. But today...nada. No migraine, no eye twitch, no heart palpitations, no finger twitching, and no shoulder pain. I'm hoping all these weird new symptoms were the final extinction burst and that I'm nearing the home stretch! (Feel free to tell me I'm right, I'd love to tell that pesky brain of mine that it's been outfoxed!)

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes it means shifts in the brain are happening and the brain is desperately trying to alert you because it thinks you're out to lunch lol. Just remain calm and unbothered. This is part of the process and a sign of movement, so yes it's progress!

TG957, Hedger, Balsa11 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Larkspur

Larkspur Peer Supporter

Thank you so much!! Progress!!

miffybunny likes this.
  4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

When I finally defeated my complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), my lower back pain that was gone while I was dealing with CRPS decided to wake up, and it was quite an awakening! Keep doing what you are doing, your extinction burst will go away.

5. Beawake

Beawake New Member

is it possible to have bursts every few days? as that seems to be my issues, it then takes me a while to calm back down to achieve another few good days, i never make a ull week of being ok

Bodhigirl likes this.
  6. TG957

It took me almost two years to get my life back. Have patience.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  7. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Same here, but it gets better over time. The more you occupy yourself with other stuff, the better. Especially stuff that involves learning new things.

Bodhigirl and TG957 like this.
  8. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

is it possible to have an emotional extinction burst followed by NEW pain? my ego has been relentless at 2am the past few days. then, tonight new scary pain. I was wise enough to visit you all and fast, read day two of Alan’s program and the pain dropped 80%. I will be ok... got scared... it was a sort of failing feeling after so much good stuff!
    my perfectionist wants it to be, well, perfect.

9. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

for me, i get lazy and take my wellness for granted. then another burst. especially during this pandemic. we are NOT safe in a big picture sort of way. very disconcerting! but here and now? safe.

Balsa11 likes this.
  10. TG957

Pain and emotions are connected vessels. It is very common that decrease in one results in increase in another (aka extinction burst). Keep doing your emotional work, meditation and whatever else you started doing.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  11. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

No worries, just get your sleep back on track.