1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Extinction Burst?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by GypsyGirl, Feb 28, 2017.

1. GypsyGirl

GypsyGirl Newcomer

I’m frustrated! I truly believe the stiffness, tingling, and pain in my arms/shoulders is from TMS. I’ve been working on this for a little over a month now. However, the symptoms are getting worse and I’m acquiring random news ones every day. I’ve also been having some anxiety issues. I know this is related to TMS, but is it oxygen deprivation as well? Is this an extinction burst?

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Definitely sounds like the symptom imperative at work! Some symptoms go away and others begin...the mind is fighting to not lose its defense mechanism as you integrate your TMS knowledge. It takes time. Anxiety is a TMS variant but the mechanism is not oxygen deprivation. That only applies to muscle/tendon/nerve pain syndromes and is not well proven. There is a large array of issues that are PPD/TMS with different mechanisms, as sarno discusses in his later books. Keep working at it, doing the program and uncovering the underlying emotional issues they have caused all your symptoms. It takes most people more than a month, you're on the right track!

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Ellen like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Gypsy Girl. I agree that healing from TMS often takes more than a month. It's not helpful to set a clock about when to experience no pain. Also keep in mind that TMS is a journey, an on-going process of self-discovery.

4. GypsyGirl

GypsyGirl Newcomer

Thanks for the advice. I know this will be a long journey. I was more concerned about the increase and variety in symptoms at this stage. Another question on this...do you have to pinpoint the exact repressed memory in order to heal? I feel like I have a combination of things going on that have caused tremendous anger over the years. According to Sarno though, we won't know exactly what triggers our TMS--our repressed emotions/anger are too deep. Am I misunderstanding this?

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think so long as we discover any emotions we may be repressing, our subconscious is satisfied and will stop sending the pain. We don't have to be all that specific about what causes the anger or other repressed emotions.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.